Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
The King's Man

Movie: :3stars:
Video:
Audio:
Extras: :
Final Score: :3stars:

Movie

Well, now this is something I really didn’t see coming. After 2017’s Kingsman: The Golden Circle I fully expected Matthew Vaughn’s take on the Mark Millar graphic novels to go by the wayside. 2014’s Kingsman: The Secret Service was a fun little jaunt, but the sequel sort of stumbled and fell along the way. Decent movie, but just not what the audience was hoping for. Neither film was exactly grade A material, but they were entertaining enough for me to enjoy. However, come 2021 and Matthew Vaughn is back with a completely different approach to the source material. This time in the form of a prequel that almost completely changes the tone and feel of the entire franchise.

What made the Kingsman films so unique was Matthew Vaughn’s trademark vulgarity, ultra violence, and warped view on Bond era spy craft mixed with some extremely frenetic action sequences. This new take on the origins of the Kingsman spy service is almost completely devoid (almost) of the trade mark sexual vulgarity that the first two films had, and instead tries to focus nearly completely on the spy craft element of the story. That doesn’t mean that there isn’t some bizarre changes of pace for the film (Rasputin alone is so bizarre and crazy that it’s worth the price of admission alone), but Vaughn has obviously toned down his desire for excess and exaggeration in those fields.

Orlando (Ralph Fiennes), the Duke of Oxford, is a bit of a pacifist. An ex soldier who fell out of love with blood lust, he transferred to the Red Cross where he could help SAVE lives in the army, not take them. However, his life is changed forever when his wife is killed in collateral damage, causing the already pacifistic Duke to take a back seat and never allow his son Conrad (Harris Dickinson) to ever fight in a war like he did. However, when a mysterious force starts pulling strings and forcing the world into WWI, Orlando starts to take notice. He can’t help but get pulled in when his friend, Archduke Ferdinand, is murdered on the street and takes a more active role in hunting down this mysterious puppet master.

With the help of his man at arms Shola (Djimon Hounsou) and “maid” Polly (Gemma Arterton, who hasn’t been in a blockbuster film in nearly 10 years) Orlando forms a secret network of spies to put their fingers in all the world’s pies. Controlling the narrative and finding out who is out there doing pulling the strings is one thing, but no matter his control and machinations, nothing can stop his son Conrad from heading off to war on his own, and soon after, becoming the focal point for Orlando making his secret spy network the largest kept secret in England.

The movie is still Matthew Vaughn goody, but it’s more laid back and bland than the previous two films. I’m not sure whether it’s just Vaughn honing his directing style or what, but The King’s Man is very much more laid back and more intent on focusing on the spy craft element of the story rather than the vulgar or the ultra violence. There’s plenty of action, but still the film feels just a tad boring, especially after the midway point with Conrad joining the war. At that point the film just feels like it wants to get to the end and doesn’t mind glossing over things. However, the inclusion of Rhys Ifan playing a completely BIZARRE Rasputin is probably worth the price of admission alone. That hilarious action sequence is the highlight of the film and by far the best performance. Ryhs has always been a crazy character actor, but this one just goes above and beyond. Easily my favorite portion o the movie.

Rating:

Rated R for sequences of strong/bloody violence, language, and some sexual material

Video:
Being that this was a digital stream, I'm not going to give an official video score, but rather just go over the highlights.The film is bright and shiny for most of the production, wiht heavily saturated colors (especially the greens on the Shepherd's mountain top) shining through. The film balances out that shiny and neutral look with a more golden hue in Rasputin's lair, and some gray/blues in the English court. Artifacting was intermittent, but that most likely was due to the stream itself, and the black levels were near impeccable.

Audio:
As with the video I'll refrain from giving an actual score as this was based on a streaming copy only, which is highly dependent on your internet service. Anwyays, the Atmos track seemed to be punchy and powerful, with lots of high flying action that really lights up the surrounds and gives the bass channel plenty to work with.

Extras:

Final Score: :3stars:

The King’s Man delivers more dramatic elements than the previous two films in the series, but also lacks the pizazz and excitement of those movies as well. There’s a sort of sincerity to this effort that will make fans of the first two rather confused, but he also doesn’t know how to handle said sincerity either. Many of the most dramatic elements are squandered, but Vaughn’s trademark insanity bleeds through ENOUGH to make for an enjoyable (if not singular watchable) film. Being that I only viewed the digital copy for this review from Disney/Buena Vista I can’t comment too heavily on the audio and video, but if the Streaming encode and the Atmos track are anything to go by, this will be phenomenal on physical media.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton, Rhys ifan, Harris Dickinson, Djimon Hounsou, Matthew Goode, Charles Dance
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
Written by: Matthew Vaughn, Karl Gajdusek, Mark Millar (Based on the Graphic Novel)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos oooooo
Subtitles:
Studio: Disney/Buena Vista
Rated: R
Runtime: 131 Minutes
Digital Release Date: February 18th, 2022

Recommendation: Solid Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I have enjoyed watching this franchise.. Will check this out.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
I’ll wait to see this one on HBO then. Thanks Michael!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
On HBO Max now :cool:

Interesting. Warner must have cut a deal with Disney as they usually are pretty controlling of their new releases on Disney Plus.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I'm thinking this is a skip as a buy. I was lukewarm on the other two flicks.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Watched it last night on HBO Max. Parts of it were ok and parts of it not so much. I’ll second that 3of5 Michael!

Top Bottom