Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
The Haunting: Paramount Presents Edition

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :2.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

The late 90s and early 2000s were an interesting time for horror. They tended to veer away from ridiculous gore fests, or tons of practical effects, but instead decided to aim for tons of CGI and more PG-13 style to it. Flicks like House of Wax, Ghost Ship, and House on Haunted Hill dotted the landscape. A style that tried to hearken back to Gothic horror, and infused with with the old 1970s ghost stories. 1999 was kind of a convergence for these movies, bringing us House on Haunted Hill, The Haunting AND Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (well, it may not be officially horror, but I was certainly horrified after watching it in theaters) all in one fell swoop. Out of those late 90s horror flicks, I still have a large weakness for the 1999 remake of The Haunting, and I was nearly dancing in my seat when I saw that Paramount was pulling it out of their back catalog for their 10th Paramount Presents edition. As is the case with all of the Paramount Presents films, we get a spiffy new 4K master, a new cover art with a fold open slipcover, and a clear Blu-ray case.

The film itself may be PG-13, but for a PG-13 horror movie it’s actually rather good. The 1963 The Haunting was a very cerebral horror movie that never actually showed any ghosts at all, and has widely been considered one of the scariest movies of all time (at least back in the day) for it’s clever use of misdirection and suspense. The 1999 remake goes a different direction, and while it doesn’t need an R rating, it does fall prey to being a bit CGI happy, as was the case with many of these late 90s/early 2000s horror flicks. That being said, the movie is awash with a Gothic feel that makes it less of a HORROR film, and more of a Gothic ghost story/mystery. A little tidbit that makes enjoyment of the film a bit more palatable when you realize that it’s not that much of what gorehounds and horror fanatics were hoping for back then. If you view it as a Gothic tragedy, or a Gothic mystery the movie makes much more sense, as the actual terror and nastiness is drastically missing. Sure we’re dealing with ghosts and an evil spirit, but the tension comes from the mystery of it all, and how it plays out vs. Trying to scare you (even though there are some jump scares in the first half of the film.

After Nell (Lili Taylor) suffers the death of her mother whom she cared for her whole life, the young woman is forced to find some way to make a living. Getting a mysterious call on the phone, she’s pointed to a wanted ad in the paper to come and act as a patient for a sleep study for $900 a week. It seems simple, but the reality of the situation is that the head of the study, Dr. David Marrow (Liam Neeson), is NOT actually running a sleep study. The study is a guise for him to run an experiment on how people react to fear, and his three “sleep patients” are the exact type that he’s looking for. Taking them out in the country to the old Hill House Manor (Hill House being a common haunted house in these movies), Dr. Marrow starts out some auditory and visual jump scares to really rev up his sleep deprived patients.

However, the mechanical jumps and sounds aren’t the only thing that Nell is hearing. The socially awkward woman starts to see visages out of the corner of her eye, ghosts that direct her to different portions of the old house and begin unravel a spiritual presence whose malignant stain has been darkening Hill House for centuries. A dark stain that very well may consume them all, or be completely destroyed by the human presence.

The Haunting remake got a lot of flak back in 1999, and I remember not really liking it as an 18 year old. HOWEVER, watching the flick years later I gained a new appreciation for it as a Gothic mystery. When you take away the obvious late 90s CGI, and the cheesy writing, it’s a haunting and mysteriously saddening if taken at face value. The movie was, and never will be, a literal classic. And it will never even be uttered in the same sentence as the 1963 The Haunting, but it is a fun bit of late 90s “horror” cheese that is just like comfort food. Not too filling, not too deep, but goes down easy. Catherine Zeta Jones and Owen Wilson feel a little out of place in the film, but Liam Neeson and Lili taylor are rather solid in their prospective roles.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for intense horror sequences

Video: :5stars:
I haven’t seen The Haunting since I watched an old DVD blockbuster rental from around 2000-2001 (yes, I was alive when Blockbusters were still around) so I can’t really compare picture quality, but the 4K remaster is nothing short of amazing. The 35mm film source is crystal clear, with tons of fine detail and amazing black levels. The movie is VERY dark, taking place 99% of the time inside of the dimly lit mansion, but still you can see every nook and cranny of the Gothic manor. Colors are bright and warm, and the overall tone seems to be a slightly warmer sepia tone (typical of late 90s films). Facial details are great, and intimate things like clothing, or neck hair are shown with amazing clarity. About the only thing to really complain about is the very obvious 1990s CGI for when we see our ghostly friends. It’s not something to knock the video quality for, but it seems oddly out of place when compared to the lovely 35mm footage.

Audio: :5stars:
The 5.1 Dolby TrueHD track is really a gorgeous mix, and takes full advantage of all 6 channels to get the job done. The track is really intense and immersive, driving the listener straight into the middle of the creaking and groaning Hill House, and pounding us over the head with intense bass. The sound placement is excellent, with every little creak and groan shifting direction and coming from all angle with pinpoint precision. The moan of a door opening can be localized with ease, and the weight of the LFE channel is beyond exemplary. When I say intense bass, I mean INTENSE bass too. Those thuds and slams that come from above are jaw dropping, shaking my entire room and pressurizing my ears with each down thud. Vocals are still clean and clear of distortion, not to mention never being drowned out by the score or the before mentioned crazy bass. Simply put, perfection.

Extras: :2.5stars:
• BRAND NEW 4K REMASTER OF THE FILM
• NEW Filmmaker Focus: Director Jan de Bont on The Haunting
• Behind-the-Scenes Featurette
• Theatrical Teaser
• Theatrical Trailer
• A foldout image of the film's theatrical poster, and an interior spread with key movie moments

Final Score: :4stars:

While 1999’s The Haunting might not be an instant classic, it still is a fun Gothic mystery that reeks of 1990s flair. The movie is still worth watching in my opinion, though the CGI has a bit of a dated look to it (we all know that 1990s CGI looks painful with today’s lense), and Paramount did a fantastic job with these release. The 5.1 mix is stunning and the new 4K remaster makes for a SCRUMPTIOUS viewing experience. My only complaint is that the old DVD extras are all we get for special features, but at least it’s not missing a ton like some of the Blu-ray re-releases suffered from. Still a fun watch as my end recommendation.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Liam Neeson, Owen Wilson, Virginia Madsen, Catherine Zeta Jones, Lili Taylor, Bruce Dern,
Directed by: Jan de Bont
Written by: David Self (Screenplay), Shirley Jackson (Novel)
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English DVS 5.1, French, German, Japanese DD 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, German, Japanese
Studio: Paramount
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 113 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: October 20th, 2020

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Greetings,

Yeah, I really enjoyed this release too Mike. Long overdue for a high definition release. An Atmos mix would have been icing on the cake.. ;)

Regards,

totally agree. an Atmos mix with this track would have been incredible

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Atmos would have been the bomb, but DSU did a good job of using the overheads, especially in Chapter 17--my new "go to" demo scene. Gotta love that Bass!

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. I may get this title. I saw it many years ago. On a side note I am so excited because I bought Terror in the Aisles on BD. It was always hard to find and finally made its way to a BD release this month. It arrives today just in time for Halloween. This film is nostalgic because I saw it at the theater with my dad when it first released. I was 11 years old hehe!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Wow talk about a blast from the past. Sadly I didn't get to review it so I'll have to grab a copy from Amazon. Talk about nostalgia

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Hello Michael, I am off subject here but need to ask :)
Are you going to review Antebellum?

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers