The Exorcist: 50th Anniversary Edition

front1.jpg
Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :3.5stars:
Video:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :2.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

AV NIRVANA is member and reader-supported. When you purchase an item using our links, we might earn an affiliate commission.

6.jpg
Movie

There has rarely been a horror film that has been this highly sought over, or reviled this much (depending on who you talk to). 1973’s The Exorcist has become one of the most influential horror movies of all time, being labeled as one of the scariest movies ever made, and had enough copies and sequels and clones of the format to choke a literal horse. I still remember being a 7 year old kid watching the film over my older brothers shoulder on HBO late at night and it scaring the absolute holy blazes out of me. I was terrified of even the cover for YEARS, to the point where it became so much of a phobia I forced myself to watch the film when I was 17 just to get over it. Naturally it isn’t that bad from a modern perspective, but back in the 1970s when the big “Satan is the scariest thing ever in films!” craze was in full swing this film absolutely TERRIFIED viewers. It was simply one of the most well thought out and visually terrifying demonic possession films of the time. So much so that it gets talked about in film classes and theater classes as a starting point for some of the most well done horror films of the last few decades.

The film opens up with an excavation in Irag where archaeologist and Catholic priest, Father Lankester Merrin (Max von Sydow) comes across a small stone statue before coming face to face with an evil that would soon dominate the film. Fast forward to Georgetown where an actress by the name of Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn) is getting concerned over her daughter, Regan’s (Linda Blair), erratic behavior. Seizures, outbursts of rage, and other abnormal actions cause her to undergo a series of tests and medical procedures leaving most doctors and health professional baffled. Nothing shows up on scans, but Regan begins to get worse and worse until a random death outside their home causes Chris to look in a completely different direction for help. Reaching out to a nearby Church where she comes into contact with Father Damien Karras (Jason Miller), who agrees to help Regan and Chris find out if there is a supernatural element involved

7.jpg
Unbeknownst to the family, Father Damien is suffering from a beleaguered faith, having been worn down and almost on the verge of actual doubt for a while now. This all changes when Damien comes face to face with an entity possessing the girl who claims to be Satan himself. Now the priest is dealing with more than just a crisis of faith, and is forced to put his entire soul on the line to see if he can save the young girl before the demon takes over TOO much of her body and mind.

How do you really describe The Exoricst? It’s so much more than just a simple possession film. Friedkin unlayers the characters bit by bit, weaving in a story of demonic possession with spiritual self doubt, human disbelief in the supernatural, as well as a visual tale that has manages to scare and scar people for the better part of 50 years. I can’t tell you how many films that I’ve seen in my childhood that were “scary” or “disturbing” 30+ years ago, but have lost their bite over time. But for some reason The Exorcist is not one of those films. I can still get creeped out and scared every single time I sit down and watch the film. Part of it is due to William Blatty’s incredible writing, but part of it is due to to Friedkin’s very judicious use of practical effects. None of which seem cheesy and over done in an era where CGI could make it look perfectly natural to the human eye.

Luckily for us, the film includes both the theatrical and the director’s cut of the film, with my personal taste leaning towards the director’s cut. It’s one of the few instances where the director’s cut is actually warranted (most extended or director’s cuts are not even close to warranted), but sadly the extras are kinda “meh” on this release. Since Warner has been leaving off the Blu-ray release in the combo pack, the extras that were available on the 2010 edition are not all included in the set, which means if you want ALLL the goodies you’re going to need to keep your old digibook for that.

Rating:

Rated R by the MPAA

4K Video: :3.5stars: Video:
8.jpg
For those of you familiar with William Friedkin’s works on home video, you’re well aware of the fact that his home video releases tend to get tweaked and changed from the theatrical releases more often than not. Think The French Connection and the massive color timing issues that home video releases have suffered with. As such, it came to no shock whatsoever when the Blu-ray release years ago came saturated in a cool blue color scheme and pushed aside all remnants of the natural look that it show cased in theaters. Fans weren’t wildly happy (myself included), but it was still the best way to enjoy a high definition version of the film at home.

Fast forward a decade (ish) and the new 50th anniversary edition 4K (the theatrical on one disc, and the director’s cut on the other) come with a brand new master and transfer that has gone another direction. No, the revisionism has not been eradicated, but the color timing has been tweaked again, pulling back that heavy blue filter quite a bit, while still leaving some intact. It’s been reigned in, so to speak, and feels a bit more natural, even though it is not a complete roll back of that over aggressive filter. The HDR application changes also are both a blessing and a curse here. In many many sequences (probably 75% of the film) it gives new life and a brilliant look into the 1970s colors with great shadow detail, and amazing clariy, yet in others (about 25% of the film) it actually robs scenes of their natural look, and smears out detail levels. There’s a scene in the subway station where bright lights and fluorescent tones dominate, yet the blooming and white level excessiveness leaves it blasted out and completely devoid of real detail levels. The same can be said for the chalky look to the house, or the overly grainy and blasted out shots of the desert that don’t look even remotely natural.

These issues are not going to make someone claw their eyes out and throw the disc away, but discerning viewers are going to have to realize that with all of the good that the 4K UHD upgrade has given us for 75% of the film, that last 25% is going to be an issue. It’s a situation where the term “give and take” come into effect. The image looks better than ever for the most part, with amazing detail levels most of the time, and some incredibly rich colors to behold. So no matter how much I’ve griped in this review, understand that there is a lot to like with this transfer, and that the downsizes (as frustrating as they may seem) do not denigrate the film down to “meh, this isn’t worth the upgrade”. Especially considering how frustrating the Blu-ray release was in other ways.

Audio: :4.5stars:
9.jpg
I’m going to admit that I was one of the people who rolled his eyes and just chuckled when we got the press release and noticed that there was a Dolby Atmos track as the main track (the theatrical edition also has a 2.0 DTS-HD MA track, while the director’s cut only has the Atmos mix). I mean, this is a 1970s horror movie that was NOT in any way optimized for object orientation in the mix. This was seen as overkill by myself and many others, but I have to eat a serious plate of crow here, as the Atmos track (forged from blending previous surround tracks) is actually quite the stunner. Dialog is great for the most part, with only a few instances of dialog hiss (usually in a scream), and a wonderful use of discrete sounds for the surround channels. It’s startlingly effective with the ambient use of creaks, groans and screams of the demon possessed girl, not to mention the amazing sense of direction you get from the track. Each sound seems to leap out from a different point in the room making it nearly impossible to guess which speaker is emanating the tone from, and the bass has a really nice punch to the whole thing (such as beds thumbing on the ground, doors slamming shut, etc). End of the day, it’s nice to have the original 2.0 Mono mix on the Theatrical disc, but I was DEFINITELY impressed with the Atmos track found on both discs.

Extras: :2.5stars:
10.jpg
Disc 1: Theatrical Cut
• Introduction by William Friedkin
• Commentary by William Friedkin
• Commentary by William Peter Blatty with Special Sound Effects

Disc 2: Director's Cut
• Commentary by William Friedkin

Final Score: :4stars:

The new 4K UHD disc ironically falls in line with many other William Friedkin (may he RIP) films as they get their home video upgrades. It’s plagued with color revisionism, and oddities that stem from his very gritty and raw aesthetics, but overall is still a nice upgrade over what came before it. Playing the “how different will this edition look?” roulette is a bit annoying, but at the end of the day it still looks better than it has to date. Great film, decent extras, and a solid enough looking encode lets me give this a solid single thumbs up as my recommendation.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Ellen Burstyn, Max von Sydow, Linda Blair, Lee J. Cobb
Directed by: William Friedkin
Written by: William Peter Blatty
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), English DTS-HD MA 2.0 Mono, French, Spanish DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: R
Runtime: 132
Blu-Ray Release Date: September 19th, 2023
image.png

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. This movie is a classic and must own and boy did it scare me when I saw it long time ago.. Oh man..

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. It is somewhat disappointing that the picture quality is not up to par considering it is in 4k. The active Atmos is a plus though. Idk, I may return my unopened copy and just live with the BD extended directors cut and theatrical release that I already own.

firedog

More  
Kii Control
Front Speakers
Kii Three
I remember it as one of the funniest movies I ever saw. Laughed all the way through.
The puke didn't look real - wasn't scary, etc.
The whole premise - exorcism - is also so dumb as to be funny.

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
I remember it as one of the funniest movies I ever saw. Laughed all the way through.
The puke didn't look real - wasn't scary, etc.
The whole premise - exorcism - is also so dumb as to be funny.
Did you see it when it premiered, maybe as a child or decades later? At the time in the 70s it was one of the scariest films out there.

firedog

More  
Kii Control
Front Speakers
Kii Three
Did you see it when it premiered, maybe as a child or decades later? At the time in the 70s it was one of the scariest films out there.
I think I was a Junior in high school when it came out. Saw it then. Everyone in the theatre was scared, except me and my date - we were laughing.
Just didn't find it scary or convincing.
I've seen it on cable since - still does zip for me.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
I think I was a Junior in high school when it came out. Saw it then. Everyone in the theatre was scared, except me and my date - we were laughing.
Just didn't find it scary or convincing.
I've seen it on cable since - still does zip for me.

that's the joy of films. It hits people differnet ways. Tugs on different emotinonal strings. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I've laughed myself silly at several horror films meant to be scary

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Thanks for the review. It is somewhat disappointing that the picture quality is not up to par considering it is in 4k. The active Atmos is a plus though. Idk, I may return my unopened copy and just live with the BD extended directors cut and theatrical release that I already own.

I wouldn't be too worried and panic. While this is not a perfect disc by any means, neither was the old Blu-ray and it HANDILY beats that 13 year old disc without problem. It just is what is. I don't think we'll ever see an The Exorcist disc without some sort of weird tweaks to it lol

Top Bottom