Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Supernatural: The Complete Fifteenth and Final Season

Movie: :4stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

I still can’t believe how long Supernatural has run for considering that it was SUPPOSED to originally end at season 5. The show had geared up for the finale, but the writers and producers decided that there was a few more seasons left in the tank. Well, a few more seasons turned into TEN more seasons, with the show actually retaining it’s generally great story quality. It adapted much more than the typical demon hunter show of the week that it started out as, and even though season 12 and 13 were a bit shaky, manages to come through on the home stretch with a strong couple of years (unlike many shows which just fizzle and sputter, long past due to being put out to pasture).

Season 14 ended with with a off “God” coming down and creating a big confrontation, and now it’s up to Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam Winchester (Jared Padalecki) to face off against more foes, and gather more friends, as they prepare for an explosive showdown with a very ticked off and vengeful deity. Up until now the entire story of Dean and Sam Winchester had been with god pulling the strings. Now God is no longer making their path easier and rescuing them from their troubles when they should have stayed dead. Now it’s the enemy itself and the end of the world isn’t going to phase our loveable duo.

I was worried that the finale itself would be a bit weak considering how hard it can be to bring home the horse at the end of a race like this, but I was shocked at how gut punching that finale was. I mean, we all knew that it was going to end up this way sooner or later. Dean has made mention over the years that he knows his fate, and even though we get to see a future reunion in heaven, that stab in the gut at the end will never really be “ok” for Supernatural fans. As Dean always said “I knew it was going to happen one day”.

This final season was probably the most explosive and energetic yet, pitting us against more demons, more of the world’s fate at stake, and probably one of the most violent seasons to date. We get to say good bye to a few friends, and bring the brothers full circle back to where they started in season 1. It may not have been planned out with a big story arc that was planned from the beginning ala Babylon 5, but Erik Kripke has kept a tight story line going much further than anyone expected, and the loop back to the beginning actually feels organic and natural, unlike some other shows Cough*how I Met Your Mother *cough.

Rating:

Not Rated By the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
As typical with most newer WB/CW shows on Blu-ray, the results are generally stellar. The digital photography has been very stable and consistent the last 7 or 8 seasons and the end result is a boringly stable release that does everything right. It's nice and shiny with clean shots and a rather dulled color palate that is very typical of the show. Gold and grays dominate along with heavy shadows, but the show isn't afraid to toss in some bright red blood, or show off stunning clarity during the bright daylight sequences. Fine details are exemplary and outside of some black crush in the shadows, said detail translates well to the night. Overall a very nice looking season that is boringly reliable.

Audio: :4.5stars:
What can I say about the audio mix that hasn't been said in the last few reviews of the show? It's a high quality 5.1 DTS-HD MA mix that is light years better than the lossy 640 kbps 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks of the first few seasons, and right in line with recent releases. The shows action keeps the surrounds and the LFE jumping, with demon kills and end of the world encounters really lighting up the sound stage. Like always it's a bit hot on the bass and aggression, making it a bit unbalanced if I'm being critical, but the action junkie in me really loves it. Dialog is always perfectly intelligible and the the hotness is part of the charm (don't worry, it's not excessively hot though). Great mix for a final season, and always a treat to listen to.

Extras: :3.5stars:
Supernatural: Family Don't End with Blood
• The Winchester Mythology: Midwestern Heroes
Supernatural: 2019 Comic-Con Panel
• Gag Reel
• Deleted Scenes
• Winning Baby: A Supernatural Giveaway
Supernatural: The end of the road

Final Score: :4stars:

Looking back over the last decade and a half (it’s really been that long?), I wistfully remember 20 something year old me starting this “new” show about a couple of demon hunters and feeling like it felt like a take off of Buffy and Angel and wouldn’t last more than a season or two. Well, I guess I was wrong, as it has become the longest running American sci-fi show of all times, and has actually been GOOD at all times, instead of spiraling into mediocrity after the 6th season or so. Warner’s presentation of the Blu-ray is stellar as usual, and given the typical CW extras, along with a couple of “goodbye” features to check out. If you’re a fan of the show, this won’t let you down, and for those who haven’t seen any episodes….well, you gotta lot of catching up to do.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Jim Beaver, Misha Collins, Rob Benedict
Created by: Eric Kripke
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: NR
Runtime: 838 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: May 25th, 2021

Recommendation: Fun Watch

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed Buffy as well as Angel. Never saw this but now, I don't know.. 15 seasons! That is a lot of seasons to go thru.. lol.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Wow... yeah... 15 seasons is unbelievable. Certainly won't binge watch this one in a week or so.

I don't think I've ever attempted to watch this, or if I did it may have been a while back. I might have to give it a try and see if any of the characters will reel me in.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
For fans of this series.

from yahoo,

d52a26e1f2a31e048451c93aa8c8bd06

Nicki Aycox, an actor known for her recurring role on Supernatural, has died. She was 47. The confirmation of Aycox’s death was made by her sister-in-law Susan Raab Ceklosky in a Facebook post.

RIP Nicki Aycox

Top Bottom