Suggestions on buying a new receiver.

billrobbo

My current, 11 year old, Onkyo is starting to show issues with HDMI and front display brightness so I feel it is time to upgrade and I am looking for suggestions.
I am only running 7.1 at the moment and I like the fact that the 696 has a phono input.
One that I am leaning towards is the Onkyo TXSR696, as it came out in 2019 and so is on sale. (I assume it is being replaced by a newer model)

Currently the local stores have limited stock so I really don't know what is available. All suggestions appreciated.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Do you have easy access to Denon products? I would be game for recommending the latest run of Onkyo gear, but if you can source a Denon unit (the equivalent of their current X3700 and X2700) you'll gain the advantage of Audyssey and better subwoofer management (unless, of course, you have outboard management with your current setup). Onkyo's room correction during 2019 was middling.

If that's not a concern, I'd do a quick search on the net to see if the TXSR696 had HDMI card failures. Likely not, but still worth a look.

billrobbo

Do you have easy access to Denon products? I would be game for recommending the latest run of Onkyo gear, but if you can source a Denon unit (the equivalent of their current X3700 and X2700) you'll gain the advantage of Audyssey and better subwoofer management (unless, of course, you have outboard management with your current setup). Onkyo's room correction during 2019 was middling.

If that's not a concern, I'd do a quick search on the net to see if the TXSR696 had HDMI card failures. Likely not, but still worth a look.

Their website says they are not in stock but does say it can be sourced within two weeks. The X2700 is au$2000 and the X3700 is au$2700 I will drop in and have a chat to a salseperson.
Thanks Todd.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
For sure. If you are in desperate need of HDMI 2.1, definitely feel comfortable looking at 2020 and 2019 models in the Denon or Marantz ranks (tho, Marantz is going to cost you a tad more). Very solid products.

billrobbo

For sure. If you are in desperate need of HDMI 2.1, definitely feel comfortable looking at 2020 and 2019 models in the Denon or Marantz ranks (tho, Marantz is going to cost you a tad more). Very solid products.
I don't even have a 4K TV as there isn't a lot of content here downunder as yet.
I think the Denon will suit me fine.

billrobbo

Well, The Denon finally arrived. I disconnected my old Onkyo and set up the new system.
I sat back and powered it all on and - No video.
Rechecked everything and all looked fine. Powered down and restarted it all. Still no video.
Tried all three HDMI out sockets, Nada.
OK, Try a new HDMI cable. Ah! video. progress through setup and get to a point where I haven't set my sub up yet. (For various reasons) So I turned it off. Upon turning it back on - again no video. Yet during startup the Sharp Aquos TV said 480p and then 1080p.
After many shutdowns and reboots I finally got a picture again so went through the setup. I left it like that and will go and secure some 4K HDMI leads tomorrow.
I set my Sony 200 CD player to Optical fibre and received no sound. Tried the other port and still nothing. Plugged back into first port and suddenly sound.

billrobbo

OK, all new 4K HDMI cables installed and still it takes 5 to 10 minutes for me to get a picture. Powering down Receiver, TV. Unplugging cables and re-inserting into other outputs.
I have set the Denon to output 1080i (The only option) yet my Sharp Aquos wants 1080p.
I will log a support call with Denon and see what they say.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Congrats on the new receiver!!

It sounds like there's a problem... is your TV's firmware up to date?

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
How long are the hdmi cables? I don’t recall why, but sometimes hdmi shorter than 6ft have handshake issues.

billrobbo

The HDMI to the TV is 3m. I have checked and I cannot find a USB port to update the firmware and I cannot see behind if there is a network port.

billrobbo

How long are the hdmi cables? I don’t recall why, but sometimes hdmi shorter than 6ft have handshake issues.
I didn't thank you for your input. I appreciate all suggestions. My original cable was a standard 2m HDMI which is why I went and purchased an 8K cable. After looking at other forums it appears there may be handshaking issues with the 3700 series. I found if if I turn the TV on and wait for it to start, then with the denon set to CD I get a denon logo on the screen and when I switch to my fetch box all seems good. I just need to remember to set the denon to cd each night before I go to bed.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Hey @billrobbo It looks like you have a USB (strange little symbol) port on the front lower right, an ethernet port in the back, as well as wifi (antennas) capability if you are looking to do a firmware update... Good luck with your issues...

Doh... You were talking about the TV... :dizzy: My bad...

Last edited:

billrobbo

Thanks anyway ddude003, gave me a chuckle.
Unfortunately I didn't buy a swing arm mount when I installed the TV 12 years ago so I cannot easily access the rear of the unit.
As for the Denon, it is set to do automatic updates via the LAN.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Yeah, this sounds like a handshake issue. Perhaps its the TV gods giving you a nudge to buy a new TV? :redgrin:

billrobbo

The trouble is that it is 12 years old and still going strong and I hate producing more e-waste. Since we have limited 4K content and no 8K I cannot justify getting rid of it.
I have now started it up several times using the Denon set to CD, powering on the TV and then switching over to PVR input and it's all good. A little mucking around but it works.

BasementAV

I had a very similar experience with a refurbished X3500 in 2020. Tried multiple TVs and a projector as well as multiple input sources. New cables, old cables and all cables passed the built-in Denon HDMI tester (very cool feature I didn't know existed before talking with Denon support). The only way I could get a video connection would be to disconnect the AC power, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. Not practical for my application so I sent it back.

billrobbo

Thanks for your feedback, I am looking at upgrading my PC monitor to 4K and test it with that before replacing a TV that has been stable for many years.

billrobbo

I had a very similar experience with a refurbished X3500 in 2020. Tried multiple TVs and a projector as well as multiple input sources. New cables, old cables and all cables passed the built-in Denon HDMI tester (very cool feature I didn't know existed before talking with Denon support). The only way I could get a video connection would be to disconnect the AC power, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in. Not practical for my application so I sent it back.
Well, my Denon was set to do firmware updates while in sleep mode. It seems they have rolled out an update to fix the issue.Four days in a row It now connects correctly with the TV.
I am also impressed with the Audyssey, I don't have my sub hooked up yet and I am impressed by the bass from my transmission lines that I built back in the mid 80's.

Top Bottom