Front.jpg
Movie: :4stars:
Video: :3.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :1star:
Final Score: :3.5stars:

1.jpg
Movie

The machinations of the uber wealthy is not something new to the world of television. Watching the inner turmoil of an elite family and all of the back stabbing and politics and betrayal carries with it a sort of lascivious glee, giving viewers the ability to seemingly see into a world that they aren’t privy to normally. Shows like Power, Empire and various others were all the rage 5-10 years ago, only for them to have mostly vanished. I’m still actually amazed that Empire had managed to eek out a broadcast lifespan on Fox, but due to the fact that Fox had pretty much stopped releasing shows on Blu-ray it had fallen off of my radar (so to speak) and ironically, so had Succession. The series had been highly lauded the first season, with article after article praising the series for it’s innovation and dark look into the life of a media conglomerate. Filled with an amazing ensemble cast and amazing reviews, I remember really looking forward to the show back in 2018-2019 era, only for HBO to release the first season on Blu-ray, and then follow Fox’s pattern and never release another season in High Definition home media again.

Low and behold, a couple weeks back I suddenly receive a complete DVD box set of the series and am confronted with the fact that it had dropped off my radar so much that a full 4 seasons (with a year break for covid) had dropped since 2018, and that I had a LOOOOT of binge watching to do in order to catch up.

The series starts out with a tried and true formula. The Roy Family are the 5th largest media conglomerate on the planet. Headed by patriarch Logan Roy (Brian Cox), an aging titan of industry who has set up a sort of succession lineup with 2nd son Kendall Logan (Jeremy Strong) slated to take over as empire head, only for everything to come crashing down in the first episode. Logan has been manipulating things behind the scene, and making plans of his own, upending Kendall’s announcement for taking over the Roy family business and staying on indefinitely as CEO and leader of the media conglomerate.

2.jpg
As is the case with all of these shows, it’s the internal power grabs, relationships with the rest of the family, and all of the hidden plans and coups that make Succession fascinating. Kendall is the brilliant new world businessman with a bevy of business school degrees hoping to take the family into the future, while Roman Roy (Kieran Culkin) is the spoiled rich brother who has no real ambition to run a corporation. Instead he’s content messing around and having fun with his wealth vs. showing ambition. Shiv and Connor (Alan Ruck) seemingly want to stay out of things as well, but each one of them has their own agendas that unfold over the course of 4 years of machinations and back stabbbings

Razor sharp dialog and the characters themselves are really the mainstay of the show, and by golly, this is an ensemble cast that really shines. Kieran Culkin is by far my favorite in the show, actually showing some incredible growth and purpose as he changes from happy go lucky rich kid into someone who has to make decisions for once. And Brian Cox can do no wrong as patriarch of the entire Roy family. The man exudes power, contempt, and a sort of brazen energy that literally drives the series forward with a sense of mad purpose whenever he’s on screen. The break between season 3 and 4 shows a few hiccups, with the final season feeling more disjointed and broken compared to previous years, but honestly? I had a ball with the series and after a near 40 hour binge of all 4 seasons the last few weeks, really wished I had been able to catch this when it Aired on HBO over the last 5 years.

Rating:

Rated TV-MA by the MPAA

Video: :3.5stars:
3.jpg
Here’s one of two frustrations that I have with the complete series box set. Only the first season ever got a Blu-ray release, and the complete series is only released on DVD. Succession was shot on 35mm film and looks incredibly textured, yet it is limited to 480p DVD and that itself is a depressing tragedy. The DVDs also looks a bit compressed, even for DVD. The dingey blue/gray tone that HBO used for the show gets crushed a good bit, and the banding in dark scenes is pretty obvious. Daylight sequences outside of board meetings and in the “real world” look the best, with great detail levels and a warmer hue, but the oppressive blue/gray coloring mixed with digital compression artifacts from DVD means things just look “good” on DVD.

Audio: :4stars:
4.jpg
The 448 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 track fares better than the video does, giving us a solid dramatic mix that thrives off of quiet whispers and growled out dialog rather than being big and flashy. The surrounds channels don’t get to shine a lot of the time, but there is still plenty of activity with the somber and tense score, along with having a few “bump in the night” moments with helicopter blades thudding during a landing, or a car crash to liven things up. Basically this is a VERY dramatic track that tends to live a majority of the time in the front of the room, and allows the surround channels and LFE to add some background accompaniment from time to time.

Extras: :1star:
5.jpg
  • Inside the Episodes Featurettes
  • Character Recaps
  • Cast and Crew Interviews

Final Score: :3.5stars:

Binge watching an HBO show like Succession can sort of take it out of you. The entire series is so bleak and dark that it doesn’t kick start the happy endorphins in your brain that you get from watching an action or typical drama. Instead it’s a dark descent into near madness and the twisted machinations that the uber elite use to maintain their status quo. That being said, Succession is certainly worth the accolades it got in the press over the last 5 years and is well worth checking out. Sadly outside of season 1 the entire series is on DVD (which was one of my two complaints), which brings me back to the final complaint I have with the Boxset. This being that Warner used the same single clamshell case with overlapping discs on double sided trays that Paramount used for years in their “complete series” DVD sets. It’s not the end of the world, but these have always been known for falling off the trays and scratching discs as a result, but luckily for me the set I received didn’t have that problems. Still, both of those complaints are not the end of the world, and Succession is definitely a show I’d still heartily recommend regardless.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Kieran Culkin, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook, Matthew Macfadyen, Nicholas Braun
Created by: Jesse Armstrong
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 AVC
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French (Season 1), Spanish (Season 1) DD 5.1
Subtitles:
English SDH, French (Season 1), Spanish (Season 1)
Rated: TV-MA
Runtime: 2340 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: September 12th, 2023

image.png

Recommendation: Good Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. Seems to be an updated version of that old soap "Dallas" from back in the day! lol. Anyways, as with "Dallas", it was enjoyable so will check this out. :)

Top Bottom