Subs phase alignment

Jaromir Mikes

Registered
Hi,

what i would like to do is phase alignment of my subs to main speakers with using REW.
Is anywhere some tutorial or how-to?
What I have tried to do was - to measure my subs and main speakers and compare phases of both in "overlay" window.
I was expecting changing delay on main speakers would shift the phase of main speakers, but it doesn't :(
Any help?

best regards

mira

jtalden

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
There is no easy step by step path that I have seen that reliability arrives at the best solution for phase tracking. One problem is that the SW to mains XO range falls into the room mode range of frequencies. This plays havoc with the phase at the LP. The best solution often requires an investigation of the XO frequency and delay/distance settings. It takes practice to find the best compromise solution in many cases. The other setup methods for XO timing may have equally favorable results and tend to be easier to explain.

That said, I have experience in using this method and, given the proper measurements, can provide the best timing solution for a particular XO setting. You could use that finding to set your timing, or to confirm the results of another method. Most all the automated setup features provided in AVRs now will make the distance settings automatically. These often provide a very good solution, but can have similar difficulty with particular situations.

If you want my recommendation for timing, please advise me your audio equipment and basic setup situation; I also need to know the mic and soundcard that is being used. I can then provide detail on the measurements that will be needed for my analysis.

Jaromir Mikes

Registered
Hi,

meanwhile I have found this article:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/28894-case-study-sub-alignment-using-rew-v5.html
I am basically understand and agree that this problem is related only to frequencies close around XO freq.
Frequencies which are reproduced by both subs and main speakers too.

I am not using "home theater" system but rather would like to use this method on larger musical systems (concerts)
where main PA is flown and subs are stacked on ground.
I usually adjust delay on subs or main PA based on distance measurement using laser tool.
I have focusrite 2i2 sound card and borrowed klark teknik measurement mic.

I am searching for some time effective method as I am not working with one fixed installation,
and system tune is only small part of my job which has to be done during a day ;)

I know there pro SW like Smaart or Systune which should be able to help with this issue but they are too expensive for me
and phase alignment is feature I would use them for.

mira

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
There several other threads there where I have helped determine the best delay timing based on phase tracking analysis. A review of those may be all your need to gain enough info to understand the process. A search for 'phase tracking' and my user name should work reasonably well.

Your situation may be easier than small rooms with less modes in the XO range, but I have no experience with those situations. I am not in a position to write up a detailed step by step at this time, but can answer a few a questions, confirm one of your setups, or find the proper timing for an example setup if given the proper measurements.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
I am not using "home theater" system but rather would like to use this method on larger musical systems (concerts)
where main PA is flown and subs are stacked on ground.
I usually adjust delay on subs or main PA based on distance measurement using laser tool.

I’m not sure there is an easy way to do this. Assuming the subs are roughly directly below the mains, the problem is that people in the front seats are closer to the subs than they are to the mains overhead, while people further back are closer to equidistance between the two (assuming a large enough auditorium).

You might get some relevant advice from the permanent installations section at the ProSoundWeb Forum.

Regards,
Wayne

MasterLufier

First time, when we talk about big venue (not personal music listening room), we need find a mic position. Second part of this guide is very useful. Usually, i'm use "Method B", so it's make longer throw, much powerful and better coverage. And when you set mic position (typically it's so far from PA and it's must be on axis of one of you PA, left or right) you will need move you mic on soft foam or something else, like this. This method will help you capture fidelity phase response, without shifting from floor reflection on low frequency (usually, up to 1-2kHz).

Ok, and now You can start measure. First time mute all you other PA side, all you subs, infill's, outfill's and center cluster and make top IR. And after mute top and unmute sub only on same side. And you will have something like my screenshot.
K2.jpg SB28.jpg
After this go to TOP impulse and click "Estimate IR delay". Remember shift time from popup window, go to SUB impulse window, and insert to "t=0 offset, ms" exactly the same time. Open Overlays window and go to phase. For much convenience I'm move window, like a screenshot.
Снимок экрана от 2017-09-07 23-37-28.png
Ok. And you will set cursor on overlays window on position, where phase angle (not a phase crossing, it's very important) of all measures maximum same. On my screenshot it's 100Hz. After, You will get sum phase angle on your calculator, without minus, if it have. On my trace it's 45+119 = 164. And after you will find which delay get phase shift your sum on your frequency on formula t(ms)=(Ph/(360*f))*1000. (For me it (164/(360x100))*1000 = 4.555ms
And now you can insert this value to "t=0 offset, ms" on TOP impulse (but TOP phase is much flat, than SUB), you need add minus. See my next screenshot.
Снимок экрана от 2017-09-08 00-02-33.png
And if you loudspeaker processor have All Pass filter, you can set phase some better. this good for highest SPL, but not good for IR.
Снимок экрана от 2017-09-08 00-19-21.png
Sorry for my English, but i hope, i can help. Best regards, Mike.

p's This is not a classic SUB+TOP alignment, so PA is L'acoustics K2 and subs SB28. K2 is fullrange system, and have more overlap with sub, but on normal SUB+TOP system you will need same. And sub's had flown, at 2 meters on rear top's
20901396_1800033913370636_1504868348515152473_o.jpg

Last edited:

Louie Michael

Registered
Hello All, I have an install in a venue where the pa is setup 360 degrees around the stage with the stage residing in the middle. I have been a bit stumped about how i would align this room. Im using in total 8 Meyer UPAS, 4 650 RS subs and 2 USW 4 subs. At what is the main front of the stage is 4 UPAS and 4 RS 650 DBL 18 SUBS. the 4 other UPAS are on seperate Matrix outs on my console so i can use them as zones when i need to though usually i have them post fader of the master. There is only one point in where you hear two speakers at the same time and thats the front of house and the side fill which is placed about 10 feet behind the mains covering the sides where FOH falls off. My question is would i align the whole system to those speakers located behind the mains? or should i be aligning everything to a single point on the stage. Venue is 500 capacity.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Hi Louie,

This is a forum for home theater enthusiasts. You’ll get more relevant advice at a forum for professional audio such as the Pro Sound Web. They have a permanent installation section.

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom