Sub woofer auto calibration for less?

aceinc

Registered
I am considering building another pair of subwoofers. I have used REW to tune subs to a room using the limited controls on the plate amplifiers with reasonable success. Being the lazy person I am I became enamored with the PE plate amplifiers with the built in DSP/equalizers and microphones, which ostensibly would allow me to plug in the microphone and let it do its thing while I sit back with a brewski. But then my parsimonious tendencies kick in and I said to myself, "Can I do this for less money and still get good quality?"

I looked at PE's "Dayton Audio DSP-LF Low Frequency DSP Controller" it is fairly inexpensive, but the only way to do auto calibration is with Apple products. For reasons outside of this discussion I loathe Apple products and won't own one intentionally.

I got to thinking about REW and its ability to send calibration data to MiniDSPs. The price of those little buggers has gotten out of control, plus I don't need 4 outputs, I only need two. At one point long ago, I believe REW would send data to Behringer products via a MIDI interface. So the question is, "Are there any inexpensive DSP, Equalizer or amplifiers with built in DSP/Equalizer, that REW can upload calibration data to?" Preferably via USB.

I will end up with two separate sealed cabinets, with 1-2, 15" drivers or 1, 18" driver per cabinet. Ultimax or similar drivers. So I will need a fair amount of power & equalization (boost) below 40hz.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There aren't any devices that REW sends settings to over USB. The FBQ1000 and FBQ2496 support Midi transfer, though comms to the FBQ2496 seem unreliable.

aceinc

Registered
I can live with uploading a file. Now we just need to determine if an inexpensive device such as the DSP LF from PE will accept a file. I talks to Android & Apple devices.

If not, does REW currently support uploading files to any other devices such as Pro Amps with built in equalizers?

Top Bottom