Stereo or Surround Measurement?

jmorris644

I have a theater room that is 17Wx23Lx8.5H There is an additional 3 feet in length where I have a false wall with an AT screen. I am about to go on the journey of measuring the room and adding acoustic treatments. My plan is to use REW and a MIK-1 for this purpose.

Here is my main question. In this room I have two distinct and separate systems. I have a 7.2 surround using a Denon receiver and Klipch speakers with 2 subs. I also have a listening stereo system with Magnaplanar 3.6 speakers run by hybrid tube equipment. I currently do not have any way to run realtime room correction for the surround system but I do for the listening system.

Which system should I use for my measurements? My preference is for the listening stereo to function as well as possible. I would be more forgiving with the movies.

It seems rational to me to focus on the listening stereo but I also do not want to destroy the movie experience at the same time. Do I do both and try to find a happy medium?

Kal Rubinson

If they are separate systems, why would anything you do to one have any effect on the other?

Kal Rubinson

I would be more forgiving with the movies.
I doubt that any physical sound treatments would have a substantial impact on the movie system but, as you say, it is less important to you.
Of course, I would suggest you re-run the Audyssey REQ on the Denon after you do whatever you do with room treatments.

Top Bottom