Rear Height Speakers
Axiom QS8
Subwoofers
SVS PB-16U
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 82"
Remote Control
Logitech Elite
I have the miniDSP UMIK-1 calibrated microphone and I'm using REW V5.20 Beta 26 (just updated today to Beta 27). I have been trying to read everything that I can and watch all the videos but I still have a few questions before I start meaningful room measurements in order to find the best locations to place my newer SVS PB16U and old SVS 25-31 PC+.
1) In some of the videos that I have seen as well as some of the recommendations on this forum, it is advised to have a "start delay" prior to taking the measurement so that I can exit the room prior to measurement starting. I see that start delay button in some of the older videos on the "Make a measurement" screen but I haven't been able to find it on the current version of REW. Can someone tell me where to find the "start delay" setting?
2) On my initial subwoofer measurements from 10 to 200 Hz, I noticed sound also coming from my left and right front main speakers. Is that supposed to happen when I'm just trying to measure the subs? I don't see a place in REW where I can turn off the front main speakers. Is there a place to turn them off or should I just unplug them prior to taking measurements?
3) I have a Denon AVR 8500H and I have already run Audessey xt32 for all of my speakers including the subwoofers. I have Dynamic EQ turned on. Should I disable this room correction prior to taking measurements?

I'm sure that I will have more questions later, but if you can help me with these 3, I think that will get me started on the right track.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The start delay control is just to the right of the sample rate selector.

Just unplug the mains when you don't want them to be active.

Dynamic EQ should be turned off for measurement.

boater

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X8500H
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DP-UB820
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-450CA
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RP-600M
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RP-502S
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch RP-500SA
Rear Height Speakers
Axiom QS8
Subwoofers
SVS PB-16U
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 82"
Remote Control
Logitech Elite
Thank you John. I see the delay setting now. I guess that I need to get my glasses re-calibrated. :hail:Is it recommended to unplug the mains when you just want to measure the subs for their best performing room location?

boater

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon AVR-X8500H
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic DP-UB820
Front Speakers
Klipsch RP-280F
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RP-450CA
Surround Speakers
Klipsch RP-600M
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch RP-502S
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch RP-500SA
Rear Height Speakers
Axiom QS8
Subwoofers
SVS PB-16U
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 82"
Remote Control
Logitech Elite
Thanks John. I am using an HDMI connection from my laptop to my Denon AVR however I'm using Java for the driver because I couldn't figure out how to get ASIO to recognize my AVR in the Outbox drop down while Java had no trouble finding it. Any thoughts on why that may have happened? Other than being able to isolate the LFE channel are there other benefits to using ASIO4all as the driver vs. Java? I see other users using one or the other in the various on line video's.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
ASIO4All seems to have issues with HDMI audio on some video cards. The only real advantage is being able to route signals to other channels without messing about with the connections.

Top Bottom