SPL meter with a mic to calibrate REW SPL meter

WesB

Is there a procedure that would allow me to use an SPL meter which has no output in concert with a non-USB sound card to calibrate the REW SPL meter.

I have an SPL meter built into a multi-meter and a microphone with pre-amp.
I have the calibration for the mic (a Panasonic wm61a capsule based mic with preamp that has a fixed gain of about 250).

My plan was to put both in a sound field to establish the 75db measure to calibrate the REW SPL meter using the REW signal generator to create the sound field.

Is there a procedure for such a set up? The signal generator doesn't run in initial tests to just drive the speakers. Do I have to have the mic output going into the sound card input before REW generator will run? Which signal should be use for this - perhaps the 1000 hz sine wave?

I have calibrated the sound card with the loop-back cables and put in the mic calibration file.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

WesB

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.
Wes

LionHo

Registered
Hi..the same situation exists with so called "True rms" reading digital voltmeters. I once hung 3 such meters on a pink noise source and got 3 different readings about 4dB apart! Note too that most sub £100 digital meters under read signals progressively past about 1kHz and are really only true rms (a bit!) at power frequencies.
WRT monitor calibration, while it would be nice to have an NPL level of meter accuracy I think the main advantage of such calibration is that you have a consistent level? No matter the genre or how you feel on a particular day you always monitor at about the same SPL.

pcb assemblies

Last edited:
Top Bottom