SPL Meter Question

clone1008

Registered
I am using REW 5.20.4 with a UMIK-1, Windows 10 into a Yamaha RX-A6A receiver. I am trying to level match my speakers using ASIO4ALL V2. I have my Generator set at -30dBFS and TV set at 0.0db.When playing test tones before any adjustments the REW SPL Meter shows 69dB and my RS Analog SPL Meter shows 81db. What is causing this discrepancy?

jschwender

More  
Front Speakers
Nubert digital pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
Philips dss940
Do you have the same filter setting for the measurement? Do you use a singal with bandwith limitation that corresponds to both measurement systems?

clone1008

Registered
I have narrowed this down to the Level of my Umik-1 in Windows 10. I used AustinJerry's guide to set things up and he says " For Windows 10, a microphone gain of 80%, or +9.4dB, has shown to work well." It's not working well for me.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The level setting shouldn't make any difference to the SPL figure as long as REW 'knows' the input is a UMIK and the cal file is loaded for that input. How does the input name appear in the REW input list?

clone1008

Registered
The level setting shouldn't make any difference to the SPL figure as long as REW 'knows' the input is a UMIK and the cal file is loaded for that input. How does the input name appear in the REW input list?
Hi John thanks for responding. Input device is Microphone (Umik-1 Gain: 18dB) and 90deg Cal file is loaded. The Cal file has Sens Factor =-0.141dB, AGain =18dB.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you post a screenshot of the REW soundcard preferences and a screenshot of the SPL meter?

clone1008

Registered
Can you post a screenshot of the REW soundcard preferences and a screenshot of the SPL meter?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I was meaning with the meter running. Do you get the same SPL readings for different UMIK level settings, e.g. changing it to 0 dB? What kind of test signal are you using?

clone1008

Registered
I was meaning with the meter running. Do you get the same SPL readings for different UMIK level settings, e.g. changing it to 0 dB? What kind of test signal are you using?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Something a bit odd going on there. You changed the level setting but the signal level from the mic stayed the same, approx -47 dBFS. REW corrected for the level change, hence the approx 10 dB difference in SPL, but that isn't going to work if the input is somehow not affected by the level setting...

On the Advanced tab for the UMIK properties have any enhancements been activated?

clone1008

Registered
Something a bit odd going on there. You changed the level setting but the signal level from the mic stayed the same, approx -47 dBFS. REW corrected for the level change, hence the approx 10 dB difference in SPL, but that isn't going to work if the input is somehow not affected by the level setting...

On the Advanced tab for the UMIK properties have any enhancements been activated?
Here is the Advanced Tab...

Here is the Enhacement Tab for the Yamaha...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Not sure what to suggest, sorry. If the level setting is changed, the signal levels should change.

Top Bottom