SPL Averages (changing speed of measurement)

carlos1681

Registered
Is there a way to change the speed of the SPL logger to measure our average at a faster rate? The reason I ask is because during a worship service we have a speaker who is set at about 70db and our music runs around 92db. Our averages I think get goofed up a little because of this. If I could change our averaging to 15second or 30 second averaging I think it could help us greatly. Any help with this is much appreciated.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm not sure what you mean by the averaging. The logger captures SPL (either fast or slow according to the SPL meter selection), equivalent sound level (Leq) and sound exposure level (SEL) along with the min, max and peak SPL values. The time used for Leq and SEL is the elapsed time since the measurement started, which is how those measures are defined - there isn't a particular averaging time. Which measure isn't behaving as you expect?

carlos1681

Registered
I guess we were looking at the LEQ line and hoping that the averaging speed could be changed. With music we have peaks and valleys, and we are trying to look at the average just for the music side of things. I guess we could just start the logger as soon as the music begins.

Top Bottom