Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Spies in Disguise

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4.5stars:
Extras: :3stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

The family film market is pretty much saturated at this point, especially in the animated department. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away we used to only have Disney to provide QUALITY animated entertainment. Then there came Pixar. Sure we had Dreamworks animation, but they were considered second tier at the time. Now Dreamworks is riding just BARELY under Disney/Pixar levels and the second tier animation titles are relegated to 20th Century Fox (now 20th Century Studios after the Disney buyout) and Universal. These second tier animated films are range from good to “ow, that hurt”, but in recent years they have at least stayed right in the middle of the “good” range. Spies in Disguise is no different, crafting a typical animated story line with cute animals, high priced voice actors, and a generally all around pleasing experience for people of all ages.

For a “second string” studio release, Spies in Disguise was aiming for the stars. It sported a $100 million budget (fairly large for an animated film, even with CGI animation getting cheaper and cheaper), AND starred Will Smith and Tom Holland in the title roles (I’m guessing Smith took up a huge chunk of the budget), but sadly only made $160 million world wide (not a whole lot, and may have actually lost some money when counting in marketing and other things). Still, money doesn’t equate quality, and I actually liked the look of the trailer so I went in with an open mind.

Spies in Disguise plays close to the whole James Bond market, revolving around international super spy Lance Sterling (Will Smith), the darling of the U.S. Government. He’s smooth, suave, and gets his man no matter what. After an attempt at recovering a secret weapon from Yakuza hands, Lance is set up by a mysterious robot handed nemesis (Ben Mendelsohn) who makes it look like Lance stole the device, triggering an IA audit of the man. With no one believing him, Lance goes on the run, hiding out where he thinks no one will find him. At the house of the quirky inventor Walter (Tom Holland) whom he JUST fired that day.

Well, Walter is actually working on an invention to transmutate humans into something else for espionage purposes (he ends up using the feather of his pet pigeon to do so), only to have Lance barge into his place and drink his experiment. Suddenly Lance transmutes into a pigeon, and he’s STILL being hunted by the U.S. Government. On the run, and out of luck, Walter and Lance have to figure out a way to get the secret agent back to human form, AND track down the mysterious man with the robotic hand who has single handedly (pun intended) taken his life away from him.

I was actually surprised by this one. I was fully expecting a kiddy kiddy movie and not a movie that hits both at teens AND adults. The level of humor is spot on, and I actually started really enjoying the film, despite the fact that the plot line is fairly generic. You know, good guy needs to overcome his own fears, and the evil villain has some sort of redeemable aspect to him. I was really surprised how they went with the whole pacifistic response to a spy movie. Walter is REALLY big about finding the good in everyone, and it’s a reason why his gadgets all have non-lethal means to them. Lance, on the other hand, is an embittered spy who realizes that sometimes you just can’t look evil in the face and take the “nice” way out. I tend to lean more towards Lance’s point of view over Walter’s as it’s a more realistic point of view, but the softer side of Walter aims specifically at the kids. You can also see this played out as it’s revealed that the villain, Killian, is a direct product of American Military violence over seas, kind of not making him a TOTAL bad guy. A bit of an agenda there, but it’s fairly low key if you just focus on the antics and Walter’s crazy inventions.

Tom Holland Will Smith are both excellent in their roles. Holland is soft spoken and shy (much like his Peter Parker), but it’s Will Smith who really shines here. The veteran actor has been known his entire career for his “in your face” charisma, and he doesn’t leave anything on the table. Will is smooth, sauve and pretty much Lance Sterling with some extra rap lyrics and some jokes, so he was a shoe in for the character. Supporting actors Reba McEntire, Karen Gillan, Rashida Jones, and DJ Khaled do their part, making it a generally fun and silly movie.

Rating:

Rated PG for action, violence, and rude humor

Video: :4.5stars:
Well, what did you expect for a brand new animated release? Spies in Disguise is near flawless Blu-ray encode with sharp colors and stunning detail. The film is REALLY brightly colored, with every shade of blue, pink, red, and various other colors than you could possibly imagine. The fine detailing is exquisite, with perfect digital lines around faces, and no banding to speak of. The fiery red explosions and fast moving chases show no signs of motion blur in the animation, but there ARE a few times where I felt the 1080p image looked a teensy bit soft. Not a whole lot, but just something that cropped up now and again. Otherwise an excellent encode all around.

Audio: :4.5stars:
Once again Fox uses the old carrot technique to upgrade to 4K, as the Blu-ray is given a 7.1 DTS-HD MA encode instead of the Dolby Atmos track found on the 4K UHD disc. The 7.1 mix is no slouch though, and hangs with the big boys as it creates a raucous and fun track. The track is one long chase for the most part, with Lance and Walter on the run from the spies, as well as tracking down Killian, so you can be sure that this is a high octane experience. Gunshots, vespa motors, and various explosions leave the low end ripping you apart (there were a few explosions that actually had my walls flex a bit), and the surrounds are highly active as the duo careen around the world. Dialog is crisp and clean as expected, and the dynamics are impressively wide.

Extras: :3stars:
Super Secret Spy Mode
• Infiltrating Blue Sky Studios
• The Top Secret Guide to Gadgets
• "Then There Were Two" Music Video
• "Freak of Nature" Music Video
• Making the Soundtrack "Then There Were Two"
• Making the Soundtrack "Freak of Nature"
• "Lunch Break"*
• Gallery
-- Color Keys and Moment Paintings
-- Character Designs
-- Locations
-- Props and Gadgets Concept Art

Final Score: :4stars:

Spies in Disguise is a simple and cute film based off of a 2009 short. It’s goofy, silly, and full to the brim with solid humor and silly hijinks (mostly as Lance has to deal with other pigeons and his own “pigeonhood”). The movie may not have made a ton in the box office, but it’s a very solid middle of the road animated film. Plenty of bright lights and colors, and fun humor that works for kids and adults alike. The audio and video are NOTHING to sneeze at and the extras reasonably done as well. Worth checking out.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Tom Holland, Ben Mendelsohn Rachel Brosnahan, Will Smith, Reba McEntire, Mark Ronson,
Directed by: Nick Bruno, Troy Quane
Written by: Cindy Davis, Brad Copeland, Lloyd Taylor
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 7.1, French, Spanish DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Rated: PG
Runtime: 101 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: March 10th 2020

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will check this out..

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Me too. Thank you for the review.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Watched this the other day with our 9 yr old grandson. We both enjoyed it.

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Enjoyable movie, but ultimately is forgettable. I'm sure Blue Sky wanted another hit franchise they could bank on, but I doubt we'll see these characters again.

Top Bottom