Speaker Placement (surrounds)

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
Looking too fine tune my speaker placement in my Home Theater.

Environmental Factors:
My front row seating is recliners
My second row seating is bar height table

Speakers:
7.X.6

Specifically I am looking to see if the placement of my side surrounds need to be lowered, also my rear surrounds.
My Front towers are 48" high (top of speaker)
My side surrounds are 63" (bottom of speaker)
My rear surrounds are 63" (bottom of speaker)
Ear level of front seating 43"
Ear level of rear seating 58"

Should i try to place the side surrounds and rear surrounds somewhere between front and rear seating ear level...like at 50.5" ?

Mark C Flick

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon 3805
Main Amp
Acurus A250
Additional Amp
Acurus 200X3
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony PS3
Front Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 1266-SE
Center Channel Speaker
RBH Signature Classic 661-SE
Surround Speakers
RBH Signature Classic 66-SE
Subwoofers
RBH Signature Classic 1212-SE
Other Speakers or Equipment
Kenwood CT-406
Video Display Device
LG OLED55B9PUA
Streaming Subscriptions
Netflix & Amazon Prime
Other Equipment
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (DC)
I've always placed mine to be 2 feet above my ear level. Had tried them at ear level and a few inches above but think 2 feet is the sweet spot. That's just my personal listening experience perhaps someone else will have some data to say one way or the other has greater benefits.

phillihp23

AV Addict
VIP Supporter
I've always placed mine to be 2 feet above my ear level. Had tried them at ear level and a few inches above but think 2 feet is the sweet spot. That's just my personal listening experience perhaps someone else will have some data to say one way or the other has greater benefits.
I was somewhat shocked at your response but at the same time welcome it. I thought for sure people would be saying that my surrounds are way too high. Although I must say it may be a sound issue for the rear surrounds as they are directly below (inches) the rear heights providing little audio distinction between the two. I hate to go through the exercise of lowering the rear surrounds and side surrounds though if I won't be able to provide enough separation to create the audio distinction anyway. The max I would be able to lower them would be 10'-12" as other room variables would come into conflict.

Top Bottom