Soundcard Calibration vs Loopback Measurement

wus

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Windows 10 PC
Computer Audio
1: ESI Maya22USB and an iSEMcon EMX-7150 microphone for measurements; 2: LogiLink UA0099 USB Sound Card for music output;
Front Speakers
2 x JBL 305P MkII
I bought a new USB soundcard, the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. One of the first things I did with it was to run REW's soundcard calibration. I have REW v5.20.4.

I followed the instructions shown in the help section in the bottom part of Preferences > Soundcard. Connected the output directly to the input, set the output level to -12dB as remommended, adjusted the input channel's volume until it matched the output bargraph (+/- 0.2dB), then proceded to the measurement panel. This is what it showed:

Except for the very minor glitches at 50Hz and multiples thereof, I think this looks decent. Do you agree? Please do write if you don't, and tell me why.

Subsequently, I could then make the cal file.

I don't remember why, but for some reason I then did a regular measurement (not calibration) with the exact same physical setup. Same wiring, same level settings on out- and input.

This is what I got:

I do not understand why this curve is so very different. Shouldn't it be equally linear???

jtalden

More  
Marantz AV7705 Pre/Pro
Main Amp
VTV 6 chnl NC252MP P-amp x 2
Additional Amp
Behringer DCX2496 x 2
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Player
Front Speakers
DIY SEAS H1456/H1212 Spkr x 5
Subwoofers
DIY JBL 2235H 15" SW x 2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790R
Screen
Da-Lite Da-Snap 39105V - 92"
It's probably the effect of the mic cal file.
Select change cal and remove it from this measurement to confirm.

wus

More  
Windows 10 PC
Computer Audio
1: ESI Maya22USB and an iSEMcon EMX-7150 microphone for measurements; 2: LogiLink UA0099 USB Sound Card for music output;
Front Speakers
2 x JBL 305P MkII
Right! Thank you!

Top Bottom