Soundcar Call vol. Reference

Lba

Registered
hello! I have a problem with the reference volumes, they are always low and I have to raise the volumes of my sound card to the maximum, it is not ideal.
Any solution to match those volumes without using the maximum of my sound card?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What is the system? What audio interface, what are you using to capture signals,...?

Lba

Registered
I tried it with several systems, the firstone was a Scarlett 8i6 1gen, second with Audient iD14 MKII, third Audient ID44 mk2, finally a 16 channel motu16A system, connected to a sennheiser rack (I don't remember the model) and finally an output 16ch ADAT.

Everything was measured with a Behringer ECM8000 always connected to the first input channel of the sound system.
For the reference signal take output 2 sending it to input channel 2.

In all these measurements I had that problem with the gains, they were always low and I had to turn the volume up to the maximum.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are running a soundcard calibration (which would be the measurement output looped to the measurement input) you would be measuring a line input driven by a line output, so difficult to see why there should be an issue with gains.

If you are making measurements (with the mic) input levels from the mic would be typically around -30 to -40 dBFS.

If you are getting warnings about input levels best post images of the warning messages to help understand the context. If levels are low the usual thing to do would be to raise the input gain. The test signal in the room should never be uncomfortably loud, don't raise the output levels unless you are struggling to hear the test signal.

Lba

Registered
In this case the reference enters by in (in this case it is the same).
As you can see in the photos, the sweep level is at -40, and the input gain is at maximum, and in this case helped a little by the monitor volume.
Although I could lower the input volume and help with the monitor volume, my idea is to use the volume less in general.

Attachments

• 20240217_135231.jpg
    20240217_135231.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240217_135203.jpg
    20240217_135203.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 14

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The system seems to have strange gain staging, with significant attenuation from the output level control which you are having to offset with heavy gain on the input stage. Seems an odd choice.

Lba

Registered
Is not a choise jej.
All the systems had the same problem, none of them had a low level output and still sounds low.

Top Bottom