Sound United Grows Larger, Adding Onkyo to Its Arsenal

full?d=1557933620.jpg

(May 15, 2019) Sound United is set to acquire the consumer audio division of Onkyo Corporation. For those of you keeping track, that means Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, and Integra brands will all reside under one umbrella.

According to a statement released by Sound United, a preliminary agreement has been established, which includes Sound United’s acquisition of all international third-party distribution arrangements for Onkyo, Pioneer, Elite, and Integra branded products. Onkyo Corporation is not relinquishing rights to Pioneer and Onkyo brands within its Digital Life and Embedded Audio businesses.

The entire transaction is expected to be completed at the end of next month.

“We are thrilled by the opportunity to add the venerable Onkyo and Pioneer brands to our portfolio. Sound United is one of the leading dedicated providers of premium audio/video products, and we believe the combined businesses will bring unrivaled innovation and sound performance to our consumers and channel partners,” said Kevin Duffy (CEO, Sound United). “Upon completion of the transaction, we will work tirelessly with the consumer audio division of Onkyo Corporation to ensure a seamless transition into the Sound United family so that all employees, customers and channel partners benefit from the enhanced breadth and depth of the new organization.”

According to Sound United, Duffy will preside as CEO over the expanded company.

Sound United now controls an incredible array of AV businesses, including Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Boston Acoustics, and Classé. Of course, that list includes the aforementioned Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Pioneer Elite brands. That’s quite a roll call of powerful names and associated product offerings.

Of course, the move raises quite a few questions about the separation of brands under the Sound United name, as both Denon and Marantz carry obvious similarities. It also raises concerns about the overall health of the industry’s more traditional AV Receiver offerings, which have met stiff competition due to consumer demand for portable wireless and soundbar products. It will be interesting to see if brand specific technologies (such as Onkyo’s AccuEQ and Pioneer’s MCACC room correction suites, along with Fireconnect) will survive, or if they’ll be eliminated in favor of Sound United’s HEOS platform and preference for Audyssey correction products.

As they say: “Stay Tuned.”

Last edited by a moderator:

bkeeler10

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T758 v3
Main Amp
Outlaw Model 7125
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo BDP-103/Panasonic UB820
Front Speakers
Revel Concerta2 F36
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta2 F36
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Surround Back Speakers
Revel Concerta2 M16
Front Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Rear Height Speakers
Tannoy AMS 6DC
Subwoofers
Rythmik F18 (2)
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-RS440
Screen
Seymour AV retractable 110" 2.35 AR (UF material)
There sure has been a lot of consolidation in the audio/video industry the past few years . . .

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It's concerning... the division of innovation is slowly being stripped away, it seems

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
(Wides) SpeakerCraft Time5
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75Z9D and LG OLED55E6P
Remote Control
Harmony 1100 and Harmony Elite
Less competition means a rise in mediocrity and prices

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I do not see an AVR monopoly on the horizon. Apple and Samsung have competition in the smartphone arena. I can buy a Honda truck over the monster Big 3. Laptops... how many brands are there, now?

Home media processors have become quite advanced, but even smaller companies like Emotiva and Outlaw have managed to keep a finger in the pie. Actually, they just jumped on board not too long ago and are doing well. JVC got cut out of the audio market, look what they did in video.

No worries. There will always be competition for your $$$$.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I do not see an AVR monopoly on the horizon. Apple and Samsung have competition in the smartphone arena. I can buy a Honda truck over the monster Big 3. Laptops... how many brands are there, now?

Home media processors have become quite advanced, but even smaller companies like Emotiva and Outlaw have managed to keep a finger in the pie. Actually, they just jumped on board not too long ago and are doing well. JVC got cut out of the audio market, look what they did in video.

No worries. There will always be competition for your $$$$.

If you look at the "major" consumer-oriented brands in AVRs... Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz... I find it a little disconcerting that 4 of the 6 are now under one roof. I guess the concern is a marriage of technologies that basically blend them into one operating unit.

Only time will tell.

The good news is that I'm not reporting that Onkyo and Pioneer were filing for Chapter 11!

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
Another way to look at it is "legally stealing technology from your competition". The Car Manufacturers have been doing it for years now.

JimShaw

VIP Supporter
More  
Denon X7200WA
Oppo UHD-203
Front Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Center Channel Speaker
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Surround Back Speakers
SpeakerCraft Aim8 Fives
Rear Height Speakers
(Wides) SpeakerCraft Time5
Subwoofers
SVS PB13-Ultra
(Two) HSU MBM-12 MK2
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-75Z9D and LG OLED55E6P
Remote Control
Harmony 1100 and Harmony Elite
Another way to look at it is "legally stealing technology from your competition". The Car Manufacturers have been doing it for years now.

I don't think I would call it "stealing". Wouldn't they have purchased the rights to any technology that might be gleaned

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
If you look at the "major" consumer-oriented brands in AVRs... Sony, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz... I find it a little disconcerting that 4 of the 6 are now under one roof. I guess the concern is a marriage of technologies that basically blend them into one operating unit.

Only time will tell.

The good news is that I'm not reporting that Onkyo and Pioneer were filing for Chapter 11!

When this was first announced I was discussing it with an industry expert who pointed out that Yamaha had, until now, a dominant position in the market. They were by far the largest receiver manufacturer (I didn't realize that). As a result, it was reasonable for Sound United to purchase its smaller competition to better even the odds for them.

It also seems that whenever I express concern that this could lead to over-commoditization across 4 brands, nobody agrees. Many have suggested that Sound United is likely to leave them alone. That Pioneer has too much invested in their platform and it's too good a platform to ditch. So we might see Sound United just compete with themselves internally, with the brands actually devloping and operating mostly indepedently.

I will say, as much as I don't love HEOS over some of the comeptition, it's still a nice system and having it available on 4 different brands would be pretty huge. If a single HEOS/BlueSound/MusicCast, Sonos like protocol existed, that would be great. Obviously nobody has successfully done that because you really need to own the infrastructure to do it well. Here we have a scenario where Sound United does own the infrastructure, so it could be done and done well.

It's also worth noting that this has happened before and it is not uncommon for these big groups to break up over time. Klipsch, B&W, and tons of Sound United like brands have gone on buying sprees when the cash reserves are high and the market value of brands is low. Once that reverses you tend to see these brands either put to rest or spun off again.

I do think this is huge news and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Top Bottom