Subwoofers
2 Perlisten D215S, 2 Perlisten D12S
Other Speakers or Equipment
2 Focal Side Heights, 6 Focal Ceiling Speakers
Video Display Device
Sony VPL XW7000ES
Screen
Stewart 120"
I have not been able to follow any of the instructions I have seen calibrating with the DB meter. At one point it said calibration not necessary using HDMI output. So I am not confident in my test levels. When I click check levels, I don't hear anything.

Right now I have done the measurements using -12 DB on my Trinnov processor. But I have also done measurements using - 16 and -20, and each time it shows the frequency response graph just a bit lower.

I assume that measurements should all be done the same for comparison purposes. Right? What should I be doing to ensure the correct measurement levels and consistency if necessary?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There are two kinds of calibration. A soundcard calibration measures the overall frequency response shape from output back to input, that isn't generally relevant if you are using an HDMI output or if you use a USB mic for input. Calibrating the SPL reading ensures REW shows correct SPL figures, but that isn't applicable if you use a USB mic for measurement.

To make it easy to compare your measurements it is best to stick with the same sweep level and replay volume level, ones that give levels during measurement that are comfortable.

Truett

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Trinnov Altitude32-24
Main Amp
ATI AT6005
Additional Amp
ATI AT528NC
Other Amp
ATI AT528NC
Front Speakers
Focal Sopra 3
Center Channel Speaker
Focal Sopra Center
Front Wide Speakers
Focal 1000 ICA6
Surround Speakers
Focal 1000 ICW6
Surround Back Speakers
Focal 1000 ICA6
Front Height Speakers
Focal 1000 ICA6
Rear Height Speakers
Focal 1000 ICA6
Subwoofers
2 Perlisten D215S, 2 Perlisten D12S
Other Speakers or Equipment
2 Focal Side Heights, 6 Focal Ceiling Speakers
Video Display Device
Sony VPL XW7000ES
Screen
Stewart 120"
There are two kinds of calibration. A soundcard calibration measures the overall frequency response shape from output back to input, that isn't generally relevant if you are using an HDMI output or if you use a USB mic for input. Calibrating the SPL reading ensures REW shows correct SPL figures, but that isn't applicable if you use a USB mic for measurement.

To make it easy to compare your measurements it is best to stick with the same sweep level and replay volume level, ones that give levels during measurement that are comfortable.
So when using a USB mic and an HDMI output, do I never make volume adjustments in REW? Only on the AV processor volume?

And how do I know that -12 DB on the processor volume is okay? Or that -18 or -20 is okay? I assume that I should pick a volume level and stick with it forever. How do I know it is a good volume level? And why does my REW check levels button not do anything?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I should pick a volume level and stick with it
Yes.

How do I know it is a good volume level?
Around 75 dB is fine, similar to the level calibration signal of an AV receiver.

why does my REW check levels button not do anything?
It sends a signal, but your system may not be reproducing it. The signal that is sent depends on the measurement settings. If you are measuring to a low end frequency REW will send a sub cal signal, if you are measuring to a high end frequency it will send a speaker cal signal. If you are using a high end frequency to measure a sub the sub will likely not reproduce anything audible from a speaker cal signal (and much of the measurement result will be noise).

Top Bottom