Slightly irregular room -- what to enter into REW "Room Sim"?

hilde45

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Quicksilver Line Stage
Main Amp
Quicksilver Mono 60
Additional Amp
Atoll INT200
DAC
MHDT Orchid
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXC
Front Speakers
Salk SS 6M
Subwoofers
REL 328
Streaming Equipment
NODE 2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon HD
Hi folks,
My listening area is a rectangle that is 27.5 ft x 14 (8.4 m x 4.2m) except for a small entranceway (a contiguous rectangle) that is about 8 feet x 5.5 ft (1.7m).
A diagram is below.

My question is how should I portray this space in numbers into various calculators and the REW Room Sim? Obviously there are different long wall lengths on one side than the other and the whole space is reverberant.

Perhaps I should just skip these calculators because of the irregularity presented by my space? If not, what would be the best approach to estimating my room's dimensions?

Thank you for your help.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Width and height modes would likely be representative, but length modes will be very different to whichever compromise you choose so probably better measuring than simulating. If you were planning to investigate speaker positions you could use REW's pink periodic noise test signal and the RTA to view the response live as you move things around.

Kal Rubinson

Hi folks,
My listening area is a rectangle that is 27.5 ft x 14 (8.4 m x 4.2m) except for a small entranceway (a contiguous rectangle) that is about 8 feet x 5.5 ft (1.7m).
A diagram is below.

My question is how should I portray this space in numbers into various calculators and the REW Room Sim? Obviously there are different long wall lengths on one side than the other and the whole space is reverberant.

Perhaps I should just skip these calculators because of the irregularity presented by my space? If not, what would be the best approach to estimating my room's dimensions?

Thank you for your help.

View attachment 38795
I hope there's an inside lock on the bathroom door.

hilde45

More  
Quicksilver Line Stage
Main Amp
Quicksilver Mono 60
Additional Amp
Atoll INT200
DAC
MHDT Orchid
Cambridge CXC
Front Speakers
Salk SS 6M
Subwoofers
REL 328
Streaming Equipment
NODE 2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon HD
We have no locks on our bathroom doors. We all possess the good sense (and Old Testament fear) of opening a closed bathroom door without knocking.

Greg Dunn

I know several people (functional adults) who have locked themselves in a bathroom by accident, so I would make sure there is either no lock or a double-sided one. :sarcastic:

Following this discussion, though, because my basement room is very similar to this one except that there is a storage space instead of a bathroom. I've tried using the longer length as well as the shorter one for room calculations, and agree with the suggestion to measure as it will give more useful results.

hilde45

More  
Quicksilver Line Stage
Main Amp
Quicksilver Mono 60
Additional Amp
Atoll INT200
DAC
MHDT Orchid
Cambridge CXC
Front Speakers
Salk SS 6M
Subwoofers
REL 328
Streaming Equipment
NODE 2i
Streaming Subscriptions
Amazon HD
I'm not sure what the suggestion is, exactly. I know how long the walls are, in either case. What I don't know is how to judge which room modes are operative because the room is irregular. So, I'm not sure what to do.

Top Bottom