Silence Speaks Volumes: GoldenEar’s Triton One.R Stood Proud at CES 2019
Sandy Gross was kind enough to talk briefly about the Triton One.R, simply click on the video link to hear his thoughts!
As for the speaker, it oozes a classic GoldenEar physical presence. Standing nearly 4.5-feet tall and constructed using multi-density medite, the speaker is finished with a gorgeous hand-rubbed piano black lacquer. Internally, a network of bracing and damping pads composed of Dacron and long fiber wool help to complete a design intended to remain as inert as possible. Additionally, non-parallel cabinet sides minimize internal reflections while a narrow front baffle minimizes diffraction issues.
As you can see from the specs below, the speaker draws upon a wide range of drivers, including a single High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) Tweeter, two mid-range drivers, four quadratic planar infrasonic radiators, and three long-throw subwoofers. And according to GoldenEar, several of these drivers feature reworked designs, while the tweeter is the same exact design found on the Triton Reference. And it’s important to note: the subwoofer portion of the speaker is active, carrying a 56-bit DSP that’s used to deliver a flat and extended low frequency response down to 13Hz.
Toss in a variety of high-quality parts, and GoldenEar has officially landed a new No.2 in its lineup. Priced more than $2,000 less than the Triton Reference’s $8,600/pair mark, the Triton One.R is offered at $6,000/pair. As reference, that’s about $1,000 more than the company’s Triton One Tower.
Quite possibly the best part? The speaker is shipping now.
GoldenEar also had a static DigitalAktive 3 (DA 3) speaker on hand at CES 2019. The DA 3 was shown at CEDIA 2018 and sounded fantastic (read show impressions: here). This is one speaker that I’m super jazzed to get my hands on once its released. It’s expected to begin shipping sometime later this year.
Triton One.R Specifications
- Speaker Dimensions: 8" (20.3 cm) W x 165⁄8" (42.3 cm) D x 54" (137.2 cm) H (is with base installed, no spikes)
- Base: 123⁄8" (31.4 cm) W x 1913⁄16" (50.3 cm) D | Weight: 80 lbs (36.3 kg)
- Frequency Response: 13 Hz - 35 kHz | Efficiency: 92 dB | Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
- Driver Complement: Three 5" x 9" long-throw subwoofers coupled to Four 7" x 10" quadratic planar infrasonic radiators, Two 5 1⁄4" high-definition cast-basket mid/bass drivers, One High-Gauss Neodymium Reference High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR) Tweeter
- Rec. Amplification: 20 - 650 watt/channel
- Built-In Subwoofer Power Amplifier: 1600-Watt SuperSub Subwoofer digital/DSP amplifier
- Power Requirements/Consumption: 120 Volt at 50 or 60 Hz / 1600 Watts | 240 Volt at 50 or 60 Hz / 1600 Watts
- Approved for NA (TUV) and the CE market