Should I install REW on music server or separate PC?

Kevin Stephen

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Sonus Faber Musica Integrated
Main Amp
Musica
Front Speakers
Sonus Faber Cremona
Subwoofers
REL G2
Streaming Subscriptions
PS Audio DS DAC, MAC Mini music server.
I am just getting into this & am printing the guide, so I haven't read any of the setup info. I have a MAC Mini as a music server running MC23. Should I install REW on that unit or a stand alone Windows laptop. Info on any advantages to one or the other in appreciated.
Setup:
MAC Mini w/MC23
External USB hard drive for music files
PS Audio DS DAC connected to Mini via USB
DAC output to Musica Integrated amp.

Thanks,
Kev

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
There won't be a difference in your ability to measure. You need a display obviously but I assume you would have that one way or another.

Where there is a difference is that if it's on your music server and you use any processing or EQ, you can measure the effect. For example I use Dirac or EQ software. I would not be able to measure the effect without having the measurement software on the same computer that to use for my source (or otherwise have the source computer produce the sweep tones).

Kevin Stephen

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Sonus Faber Musica Integrated
Main Amp
Musica
Front Speakers
Sonus Faber Cremona
Subwoofers
REL G2
Streaming Subscriptions
PS Audio DS DAC, MAC Mini music server.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I am not using any processing on the Mini, but I thought it may make the connections easier if the Mini was running REW. That way the mic is the only cable to hook up as the Mini would generate the sweep tones & the signal would take the normal path through the DAC & then on to the analog equipment. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Kev

Last edited:
Top Bottom