Set up my son inlaw with a home theater built around some older components.

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3060, RX-V1900, RX-V1075
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BD-S681, Sony UBP-X800, Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
PSB Image T65, PSB Century 800, PSB Century 300
Center Channel Speaker
PSB Image 8C, PSB Century200, PSB Century 100
Surround Speakers
PSB Image 1B, RBH A600, PSB Alpha Minis
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Rythmik LV12-R, PSB Subsonic 6, PSB Subsonic 5
Video Display Device
UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"/UN50MU7100 50"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
My son inlaw's system except for the display are components I gave him. The amp is a Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR rated conservatively at a 130 Watts/per channel when driving only two channels full bandwidth into 8 ohms. Its a 7 channel amp. I think its was produced in 2008. He has a Panasonic 720P plasma display, a Roku stream stick, and a Bluetooth to analog out converter connected to it. The main speakers are the orginal PSB Alpha, PSB Alpha center channel, and the surrounds are PSB Alpha Minis. There are two subs connected to it, a PSB Subsonic 5 which is a dual port 10" driver, and an Energy S8 single port 8" driver designs.

The initial set up looked like this.
Pet-2.jpg
Pet-3.jpg
Pet-4.jpg

Notice the sub locations. They are oriented with the driver towards the "pretend" listener position under the window. :)

The sub response in the initial placement
Initiyal Sub Setup Room Response.jpg

The full frequency response of the initial setup
Initial Setup Room Response.jpg

I did not have my laptop and measurement MIC when we first set up the system.

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Yamaha RX-A3060, RX-V1900, RX-V1075
Yamaha BD-S681, Sony UBP-X800, Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
PSB Image T65, PSB Century 800, PSB Century 300
Center Channel Speaker
PSB Image 8C, PSB Century200, PSB Century 100
Surround Speakers
PSB Image 1B, RBH A600, PSB Alpha Minis
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Rythmik LV12-R, PSB Subsonic 6, PSB Subsonic 5
Video Display Device
UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"/UN50MU7100 50"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
After moving both subs around and playing with phase, I determined that the best sub locations are as shown
Pet-6.jpg
Pet-5.jpg

Notice that both subs are now oriented with the drivers facing one another. The Energy sub was placed in the corner. Here is the in room sub responses.
New Sub Setup Room Response.jpg

At this point I ran Yamaha's YPAO room correction facility to integrate the remaining speakers with the sub into the room. YPAO put the virtual sub at 12.5 feet from the mic. I then ran a full frequency to see how it looked

Flat_Full_90_12.5.jpg

There's a nasty notch happening between 65 and 150 Hz. I fixed this by playiing with the distance that YPAO had set and I found by trial and measurment that the best integrated response occured with the sub distance set to 8.5 feet as shown below

Flat_Full_90_8.5.jpg

The room is an acoustic mess with bare walls, bare concrete floor, and duct work. The only thing sort of helping is that its an open ceiling. Its a bit too much for the earlier versions of YPAO to handle effectively. I set the EQ on YPAO to try and give a flat response. This version of YPAO was only effective from about 250 Hz and up.

Just to make it easier, I'll post full frequency response before and after today's work. There is no minidsp used here.

Before:
Initial Setup Room Response.jpg

After
Flat_Full_90_8.5.jpg

chrisby

Registered
More  
Onkyo TX RZ740
Main Amp
Receiver
Additional Amp
Hypex UCD180 for subs
Other Amp
N/A
Computer Audio
N/A
DAC
N/A
N/A
Front Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 10.3
Center Channel Speaker
DIY Mark Audio 10.3
Front Wide Speakers
N/A
Surround Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Alpair 6
Front Height Speakers
DIY Mark Audio Pluvia 7
Subwoofers
DIY a sealed 9” Eastech passive
Video Display Device
LG 77 B2 OLED
Remote Control
Manufacturer’s for above devises
Streaming Equipment
Cable provider’s set box Arris Xi6
Streaming Subscriptions
Neftflix, Apple TV+, Prime, Disney+
Satellite System
N/A
Almost 6 weeks from your most recent post, so you may have already sorted things out, but in any case, few observations, thoughts.
What are room dimensions/ shape, and as it’s not shown in photos, the intended number of seats, main listening position, and type of seating?
It looks to be one of those long skinny basement areas with irregular height to partially unfinished ceiling.
For what it’s worth, it’s been my experience that firing down the room’s long(er) dimension yields better results - even if an L-shape - and it generally allows for MLP away from back wall. I usually try for that at about 60% of the long dimension. If that’s not possible, endeavour for a combination of absorption and diffusion on the back wall, but realize that the surround effect may not be as immersive.
From the photos it seems the rear surrounds are mounted wider & higher than the mains. If possible, play with that a bit - while the Yammie’s DSP would allow for adjusting delays for varied distances, I always aspire to symmetry of place in regards to MLP and room boundaries.
I also try to avoid large reflective surfaces such as the glass coffee table between the front row and MLP.
And yes, some treatment would most likely help quite a bit - starting with the first reflection points on side walls, what appears to be exposed HVAC ducting - 1/2” felt or even the back side of vinyl faced fibreglass suspended ceiling tiles wrapped in old pillow cases - and more of the floor than the small rug.
How do the RTA, waterfall and spectrographs look? While the final couple of FR curves show some definite improvement, they don’t tell the whole story.
While it isn’t festooned with the latest generation of bells and whistles- sometimes a blessing in disguise - the RV1800 is still a pretty potent piece.
Anyways, these are always fun shared learning experiences, and a great excuse to share a 6-pack or whatever your favorite beverage might be.

Oh yeah, while it doesn’t possess all the latest bells and whistles - sometimes a blessing in disguise - the RV1800 is still a pretty nice piece.

Last edited:
Top Bottom