REW with ASIO4ALL gets java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1 error

martins5

I had been using the JAVA driver to take my measurements. Over the last few days I decided to give ASIO4ALL with HDMI a try. I've run into a problem with the following message on startup, after connecting HDMI or the UMIK-1 microphone and selecting ASIO for the driver.

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1

I had been running REW V5.19 and recently switched to the latest REW V5.20.4 version. After getting the error on V5.20.4 I decided to try V5.19. V5.19 worked just fine and I was actually able to take measurements. I then downloaded V5.20.1, V5.20.2, V5.20.3 in turn. Each of them saw the same error. Only V5.19 worked without error.

Running software on laptop with windows 10.

Any thoughts out there on what might be going on?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Please copy and paste the details text from the error message, preferably with V5. 20.4.

martins5

Here you go.

REW V5.20.4 running Azul Systems, Inc. JRE 1.8.0_302 64-bit on Windows 10 Locale: language en, keyboard US, windows-1252 at 96 DPI

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
Stack Trace:
roomeqwizard.U.A(y:1953)
roomeqwizard.E$5.actionPerformed(y:3559)
javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:313)
javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:245)
java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

martins5

here it is before plugging in my UMIK-1 microphone

Within a few seconds of plugging in my UMIK-1 microphone I get the following.

martins5

Here it is wit REW V5.19. Notice the yellow status on ASIO4All screen.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The error is triggered by not having an input selection and then a USB mic becoming available. Plug in your UMIK before starting REW and make sure the UMIK is selected in the ASIO4All device list so it is available for selection in REW.

martins5

Had to reboot to make mike available. REW V5.19 shows that the mike is now ready for use.

Already tried your recommendation prior to starting this thread. Following successful V5.19 I opened v5.20.4 and got the following.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You closed V5.19 before opening V5.20.4? Could try unplugging Umik, starting REW, selecting the first available input from ASIO4All whatever it is (assuming there is something available), then plugging in the UMIK. You will likely need to use the Reload button for the Umik to show up in the REW inputs list after it appears in the ASIO4All list.

martins5

The key is to close and ignore the error message. I was able to fumble through it and get it all working. I took a few measurements to verify everything is working properly.

Many thanks for the quick response. Would it be safe to assume the java error is a bug that will be fixed in a future upgrade?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yes, it is a bug and yes, it will be fixed in the next build. Not sure exactly when that will be, just moved house and not in a position to produce a build yet.

martins5

No problem. With the workaround you suggested I'm able to use 5.20.4 for my measurements. Thanks again for your quick response.

martins5

A quick update. I don't typically keep my HDMI and UMIK-1 microphone connected. Thus when I activate REW, there is nothing selected. As soon as I attempt to connect my HDMI or Microphone, I get the JAVA error. I don't see any way to avoid the error without keeping everything connected. The difference is that instead of giving up following the error, I now know that I can work through it and take measurements despite the error.

Top Bottom