Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
Installed latest REW windows 64 bit on my LG Gram laptop but it will not run. Clicking on the installed desktop shortcut I get to logo to flash momentarily but it disappears.
Tried Windows compatibility without success.
Any suggestions?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If REW gets far enough to create the log files folder there might be something in the rew_output.txt file in C:\Users\<your username>\REW, if the file is there could attach it.

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
John,

Found it:

Attachments

• rew_output.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 14

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Looks like an occurrence of this problem, in that case it was triggered by uninstalling OneNote and might be fixed by reinstalling it.

It seems the OneNote uninstall may remove msvcp120.dll (or perhaps a later version of that dll) from Windows\System32. The runtime REW ships with (in the C:\Program Files\REW\jre\bin folder) has its own later copy, msvcp140.dll, but the Windows search paths are somehow such that Windows ends up looking in System32 for it and not finding it. If that file is missing you could try copying it from the C:\Program Files\REW\jre\bin folder to Windows\System32, but it is generally safer not to make changes in the Windows folders.

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
John,

I installed OneNote, uninstalled/reinstalled REW but it still does not run. Just a quick flash then disappears. I have REW on my other Windows 10 laptop so not a big deal. This LG laptop recently updated to Windows 11. Didn't want you spending your Sunday on my little issue but thanks for the support.
Here is the latest txt file:

Attachments

• rew_output.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 16

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
I tried both of these versions after uninstalling previous versions and still no luck. Just a flash of the logo but not opening.
Guess I'll use my older win10 laptop that works.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Josef Munich

Registered
Hello John,

until now I was using REW 5.19 and very happy with it. So I wanted to change to 5.20.14 but had problems to install. Then I tried to install versions before and found that all of them beginning with 5.20.x make problems. I normally only get an empty window and nothing else happens. But a few times I was able to install with REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea35.exe. In that cases it started at the end and I could use it very well. But when I close it and try to start again with the button on the desktop the window with the REW logo tells that it is starting. But nothing else happens. Strange thing is that I cannot uninstall those programs. In the startlist now I habe three REW icons and uninstallation is not possible. The routine does not proceed as usually and hangs up. Tools like CCleaner do not help. Deactivating virusprotect also not. With REW_windows-x64_5_19.exe I can install and uninstall without any problems.

I use Windows 10, my Java version is:

C:\Users\KL>java -version
java version "1.8.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_20-b26)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.20-b23, mixed mode)

I found some logfiles in different directories (files.log, installation.log, rew_output.txt ) from installation. But I do not understand them.
Is there a logfile when REW ist started? And very odd is that on another PC REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea35.exe works without problems. So my machine seems to be the reason. But I want to avoid to set it up new

Thank you very much and best regards
Josef

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Hello Josef, that Java version is very old, probably best uninstalling it then running the REW installation. REW has its own Java runtime.

If you zip the C:\Users\KL\REW folder and attach it there may be some indication of what is happening in the log files. Also worth attaching the installation.log file from the .install4j folder in the REW program files folder.

There is an uninstaller (uninstall.exe) in the REW program files folder you could try if the Windows uninstall is not working.

Josef Munich

Registered
Hello John,

thank you for your fast response. Uninstalling old Java and then running REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea35.exe was the very quick solution.
Install and uninstall did work several times now. REW ist running perfect. And I am very glad.
By the way, how can I donate with PayPal? Cannot find the donate button again.

Best regards
Josef

Josef Munich

Registered
Hello John,

donation worked. Maybe interessting for others: Starting REW 5.20.14 needs about 30 secounds (sometimes 1 minute) on my PC. So be patient a little bit.

Thank you again and best regards
Josef

Last edited:

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
I just tried REW_windows-x64_5_20_14ea38.exe again, waited a minute but still nothing happens.

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎10/‎2023
OS build 22621.1265
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Yours is a different issue, Frank. I have made a change to the installer for the next build which might help.

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
Thanks for the reply. Look forward to giving it a try.

Frank PALM

Supporter
More  
Front Speakers
Kii Three with BXTs
Video Display Device
LG OLED 77"
Streaming Equipment
Innuos
Streaming Subscriptions
Quboz, Roon
Just bought you a cup of coffee. Great product and support.

Top Bottom