Rew sometimes change window volume to 100

rlaksana

Registered
Hi,

Sometimes when I launch rew it will adjust the windows volume to 100.
Below is a screenshot of my preferences. control output / mixer volume
is uncheck.

I also try to uncheck control input / mixer but it will come back check again
when I launc rew.

Regards,
Richard

Attachments

• Clipboard Image (11).jpg
    Clipboard Image (11).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 15

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are using a USB mic REW will enable input volume control so that it can bring the mic to unity gain setting if it is below unity gain.

REW doesn't alter its output volume control if the option to do so is not selected. On Windows Vista or later it cannot affect the system volume setting anyway, applications are not allowed to alter the system volume. Windows controls the volume settings for applications, you can see the setting for REW by right clicking on the volume icon in the taskbar and selecting "Open volume mixer" when REW is running. REW can only control its local volume setting, which is a proportion of the Windows application volume setting.

rlaksana

Registered
Thank you.
You are right REW only affect REW application volume on Volume Mixer.
I'm currently using volume2 to adjust my system volume.
They use somekind of hooks to adjust volume.
I think volume2 is the one that is confuse and adjust my system volume.

rlaksana

Registered
I already uninstall volume2 and try rew actually it will change volume.I attached a video showing it happen.
The actual volume doesn't change only the value is 100, when I adjust it jump back to its original value.
It doesn't happen on version 5.19.

Great software btw, thank you so much for it.

Attachments

• FmbNhQiK4g.mp4
    2.9 MB

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you clarify a little, please? Do you mean that the music that was playing did not get any louder but a volume control value changed to show 100? The music player display looks like it was showing signal level rather than a volume control. Which volume control value changed?

rlaksana

Registered
Do you mean that the music that was playing did not get any louder but a volume control value changed to show 100?
The music volume that was playing did not get any louder but windows volume value changed to 100.

The music player display looks like it was showing signal level rather than a volume control. Which volume control value changed?
The windows default volume display only showing volume, to see signal level I have to go to sound settings. On my video, It is showing system volume.

I have another video that show windows built in indicator jump to 100 but windows sound output in settings did not change.
It only happen when launching rew and while also increasing windows volume gradually.

Sorry if I cause an alarm but somehow it only happen when launching REW.
I do a test but this time by unplugging umik-1 and volume value did not change to 100
I then do a test with other usb mic (a webcam mic) and also the value did not change to 100
I retest this using 5.19 + umik-1 and the volume value change to 100.

My conclusion this somehow related to umik-1 with rew.
I bought umik-1 3 days ago, previously I was using webcam mic.

Attachments

• iEY0bfVjsL.mp4
    1.1 MB
Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
OK, thanks, the videos don't show the mouse cursor so it is difficult to know what is making changes :)

I can't reproduce anything like that on my Windows machine. I wonder if it is some leftover effect of the volume2 installation, since REW is in principle unable to affect the windows volume control? From your description it is only a visual artefact, no volumes are actually changed, so I think it is safe not to investigate further at the moment.

rlaksana

Registered
Yes, I agree that since this is only a visual artefact, it is safe not to investigate further.
Thank you :)

Top Bottom