REW RePhase Multi-Bank Feautre Request

G29

RePhase supports numerous correction banks of up to 17 PEQs each.

Is it possible to allow more than a maximum of 17 PEQ's to be generated when making solutions for RePhase and then save them to multiple XML files containing up to 17 PEQs each ?

E.G.
Left Front Bank 1.xml - 1st 17 PEQ's​
Left Front Bank 2.xml - 2nd 17 PEQ's​
Left Front Bank 3.xml - 3rd <= 17 remaining PEQ's​

I have tried generating PEQ's in frequency segments (e.g. from 10-250Hz and from 250Hz to 20KHz) but the chosen lower subsection endpoint does not consistently mend well with the higher subsection (will dip down, will dip up, will leave hole).

Doing multiple full range passes does not create as fine of a correction as doing a subsection and does not take into account maximum gain controls over multiple passes.

Since the preceding 2 work-arounds don't consistently work as well, would generating more than 17 PEQs for RePhase be an option (even if one has to manually separate one large XML file) ?

TIA

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I struggle to think of circumstances where EQ above a couple of hundred Hz would be beneficial, or where so many filters would be useful. Outside the modal range EQ is best suited for either tonal balance tweaks, using broad filters, or tackling specific issues in the direct response of the speaker that are amenable to EQ.

G29

Here a few things to ponder.
If that were a hard and fast rule, why do most all tools allow correction above Schroeder included REW ?
Why will REW max out 17 PEQs above Schroeder if it is only for modal areas ?
Why does RePhase have 16 banks of 17 (272) PEQs per channel if only under Schroeder should be adjusted ?
Why does REW cap the maximum to 17 for full range, but uses twice that (or more) if sub-ranges are done independently ?
Audiolense uses the concept of cuts to prevent boost issues. It is difficult to do flat full range frequency cut in 17 PEQs to obtain a "house curve".
Cerntainly, more than 17 PEQs is not "uncommon" or unheard of considering both tools already support/provision for it in various ways with one having an arbitrary capped limit of 17.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
This is what the author of rePhase had to say about using multiple banks:

As for other uses, I know some people have been using multiple banks (all of them even!) for a single correction, trying to refine the correction to the fraction of dB. I cannot say I support this kind of use as over-correction can cause more harm than good (eg correcting measurement artifacts, or position-dependent defects like comb filtering), but if done based on a reliable (set of) measurement(s) and with good analysis then it is probably a valid strategy if one has the time and patience to do so
smile.gif

I tend to only use a limited number of EQ points, but spread them across banks depending on the target of the correction (anechoic response, room adaptation, loudness compensation, driver to driver variation correction, etc.).

I have already given you my views on it. There are more than 500 items on the REW todo list, multiple banks of 17 filters will not be added.

G29

"... if done based on a reliable (set of) measurement(s) and with good analysis then it is probably a valid strategy if one has the time and patience to do so ..."

Thank you for your support in light of what the author of RePhase indicates IS A VALID STRATEGY.

Top Bottom