REW measurements using Pink Noise v Sweep

MediumRare

I measured my system using the sweep method and then using pink noise. There were some pretty large differences, especially where the pink noise method showed a dramatic downslope from about 300 hz to 20k. There was also more LF nulls using the sweep method and a spike around 200hz using pink noise. The window and type of pink noise didn’t matter. Am I making a mistake somewhere in the settings? If not, how should I interpret these results?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you were using the RTA to view the pink noise result did you have it set to an RTA mode? Pink noise will have a 10 dB/decade slope in spectrum mode.

MediumRare

If you were using the RTA to view the pink noise result did you have it set to an RTA mode? Pink noise will have a 10 dB/decade slope in spectrum mode.
I most likely did not - where is that setting? Also, would that affect just the slope, or otherwise, what would you make of the differences in nulls/spikes?

MediumRare

In the graph controls. It would be better to attach the mdat files for comment on the measurements. If you used random pink noise a lot of averaging would be required to get a useful low frequency response, Periodic pink noise is better and does not require averaging.
I tried both random and periodic with different sizes. With lower sizes I could hear pulsing, but didn’t seem to change the results much. Any comments there?

I’ll rerun the analysis and post files if there are still important differences.

MediumRare

Here we go after extensive tuning of the subwoofer phase (105 deg), crossover (75, 24 db slope) and internal eq. Also a little eq courtesy of my preamp, but not digitally.

Room is 17 W x 23 L x 9 H. Speakers are 104" apart nearly centered along the long wall (22" from wall) and both are 121" from the PLP. PLP is a little farther back than an equilateral triangle to avoid the null in the middle of the room.

There are some LF nulls I tried to correct but no matter what I did I could not fill them.

For those interested, I've included both a sweep method (orange) and moving microphone method (purple) so you can see the differences. Both are 1/12 smoothing.

Please take a look at as much as you can and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Fam Rm Mar 26.png

Attachments

• Family Rm 2023 Mar 26.mdat
    2 MB · Views: 17

DannyBadorine

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Outlaw Audio RR2160 with Mini DSP 4x10
Main Amp
Parasound
Front Speakers
Homemade MTM with Fountek Ribbon tweeter
I suggest not trying to fill any low frequency nulls with EQ as your room is causing them. You can't fix them by adding EQ. The frequency response isn't too bad. I would EQ out some of the 600-700Hz. How does it sound?

Top Bottom