Rear Height Speakers
Axiom QS8
Subwoofers
SVS PB-16U
Video Display Device
Samsung Q90R 82"
Remote Control
Logitech Elite
I'm new to REW and decided to take a few measurements to see if I can improve the audio primarily from the two subs in my family room. I have Klipsch RP-280F Left and rights and RP-450CA center and two SVS PB16 Ultra subs. The bass sounds pretty good but I would like to see if it can be improved. According to REW measurements, I think that I have the subs located in the best locations possible for my family room which is in the left and right front corners. As you can see from both of the attached graphs, I have a couple of pretty substantial nulls that I have not been able to eliminate. These nulls have been improved slightly with using the Parametric EQ capability with these subs but I don't think that I can make them go away completely.

My main question for you more experienced guys is regarding my cross over settings in my Denon AVR. I have always read that 80Hz is the recommended cross over setting and I have been using that setting until now. Today, I decided to experiment and took some measurements at 60 (which looked worse on the graph), 80, 90. 100, 110, 120, 150 and 200 Hz. To my surprise, I think the graph looks better at 120 than it does at 80. Can you take a look at the two attached graphs and tell me your thoughts?

I tried listening to the ATMOS Demo disc at both 80 and 120 and my tired old ears have a problem telling any difference.

Attachments

• XO=80 Mar 19.mdat
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • XO=120 Mar 19.mdat
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Krunok

I'm new to REW and decided to take a few measurements to see if I can improve the audio primarily from the two subs in my family room. I have Klipsch RP-280F Left and rights and RP-450CA center and two SVS PB16 Ultra subs. The bass sounds pretty good but I would like to see if it can be improved. According to REW measurements, I think that I have the subs located in the best locations possible for my family room which is in the left and right front corners. As you can see from both of the attached graphs, I have a couple of pretty substantial nulls that I have not been able to eliminate. These nulls have been improved slightly with using the Parametric EQ capability with these subs but I don't think that I can make them go away completely.

My main question for you more experienced guys is regarding my cross over settings in my Denon AVR. I have always read that 80Hz is the recommended cross over setting and I have been using that setting until now. Today, I decided to experiment and took some measurements at 60 (which looked worse on the graph), 80, 90. 100, 110, 120, 150 and 200 Hz. To my surprise, I think the graph looks better at 120 than it does at 80. Can you take a look at the two attached graphs and tell me your thoughts?

I tried listening to the ATMOS Demo disc at both 80 and 120 and my tired old ears have a problem telling any difference.

XO120 variant probably sounds better to you because of more linear bass roll-off toward mids. However, accoring to research done by Toole at al. most of the listeners in blind tests preferred linear curve sloped down by 10dB over the 20-20000 range, as shown with red line on your measruemens. Try EQ-ing the response to that line and you will have more balanced response which you will probably prefere more.

Top Bottom