Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
B&W DM100
Subwoofers
Pinnacle sub125 + DIY 18"
Video Display Device
Projector Viewsonic 7822
Hi everyone. This is my first post and I hope I am in the right forum. I built my HT of modest dimensions (21' x10.5' x 79") back in 2003. Lately, I have been interested in learning how my room behaves and how my equipment integrates with it. I installed REW and am learning how to use it to measure my diy sub woofer that I recently completed after purchasing the driver over 10 years ago from Mach 5 Audio here in Canada. It's the IXL18.2.2. I also got my hands on a Behringer EP2500 amp, FBQ1000 as well as the minidsp Umik1. My equipment is not very high end consisting of a pioneer VSX1020 av receiver, 2 Quest tower fronts, Cerwin Vega center, B&W front high speakers. The surround and surround back speakers are all diy DML speakers as well as a center DML panel to complement the Cerwin Vega. I think they sound good and that is why I want to learn how to use this stuff. I also have a 10" sub that I purchased also about 10 years ago and it is marketed as a 125 watts active sub. Dimensions consist of a 13" cube front firing driver and bottom flared port with a cutoff frequency of 33Hz. Well, that was a mouthful.
Anyway, I got the driver out yesterday and measured the T/S parameters using LIMP. I plotted them in Winisd which, suggests a closed enclosure for the driver. A ported enclossure would be over 7 cu.ft instead of 1.25.I don't know how they manage a cutoff of 33 Hz in such a small package. I took some measurements of the ported sub in my shop with REW and the mic at appprox 1/4" from the dust cap on axis. I repeated the measurements at a 2 meter distance. The measurement labeled DIY are of my closed 18" sub. Do these graphs look OK? I don't see a lot of difference between my18" sub and the 10"! I did many more measurements then what is seen here but, I saved the more relevant ones in this file. BTW1 &2 are in my shop and 3 to 5 are my HT in room responses with 5 using both subs.. Now I plan to use my 18" only in the HT. I will build another one later. I will learn how to equalize this but have another question. If I connect the FBQ1000 to the sub out of the processor with the equalized filters below 100 Hz and then run the processors own auto Macc equalizer for the rest of the speakers, will it defeat the purpose of the FBQ? Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this long winded post. I will probably have more questions when the time comes to measure and equalize the whole room.
Don

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Did you forget to post the graphs?

Regards,
Wayne

Donr

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-1020
Additional Amp
Behringer EP2500
Other Amp
Philips 22ah578
Front Speakers
Quest Towers Q665
Center Channel Speaker
Cerwin Vega
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
B&W DM100
Subwoofers
Pinnacle sub125 + DIY 18"
Video Display Device
Projector Viewsonic 7822
Did you forget to post the graphs?

Duh. I did. Fortunately, I realized that half the measurements were taken with my RS SPL meter. I took a few more yesterday with the Umik 1 at 80, 100 and 150Hz to see if it made a big difference in my DIY sub. I also took 1 of my 10" labeled Pin at 150 and then both subs at 150Hz. I left my front speakers connected and I don't know if I am suppose to. Now I am wondering how to equalize this! Also, why does this small sub almost match my 18" diy. I am guessing my cut off frequency is around 27 Hz. Based on these charts, what should my crossover frequency be. Fronts were set to small.
Don

Attachments

• DIY_Pin+Fronts.mdat
    542.5 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom