Other Speakers or Equipment
JBL 4430 build
Video Display Device
Apple TV
Screen
Samsung Plasma
Remote Control
Apple
Folks, can anyone suggest a VST plug-in that can import REW equalization biquads?

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Have a look at Apple's AudioUnit plugin AUNBandEQ... Lets you pick the number of bands, type of filters, frequency, width and gain... Or are you looking for something more like Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Nova?

grimrian

Registered
More  
Pioneer VSA10xi
Additional Amp
Accuphase E202
Oppo205
Front Speakers
JBL build
Center Channel Speaker
Dynadio Audience
Surround Speakers
Fostex build
Surround Back Speakers
Dynaudio Audience
Subwoofers
2x BK Electronics
JBL 4430 build
Video Display Device
Apple TV
Screen
Samsung Plasma
Remote Control
Apple
Have a look at Apple's AudioUnit plugin AUNBandEQ... Lets you pick the number of bands, type of filters, frequency, width and gain... Or are you looking for something more like Tokyo Dawn Labs TDR Nova?

grimrian

Registered
More  
Pioneer VSA10xi
Additional Amp
Accuphase E202
Oppo205
Front Speakers
JBL build
Center Channel Speaker
Dynadio Audience
Surround Speakers
Fostex build
Surround Back Speakers
Dynaudio Audience
Subwoofers
2x BK Electronics
JBL 4430 build
Video Display Device
Apple TV
Screen
Samsung Plasma
Remote Control
Apple
thanks, I checked those following the suggestion. Not sure what brand I am looking for, but was hoping someone out there had been able to import the REW Eq output text file into an equalizer VST plugin, such that the parameters do not have to be entered manually. The REW EQ output file ooks something like this (in my case 19 biquads:

biquad1,
b0=0.9989905556811162,
b1=-1.9975076768481341,
b2=0.9985286010465713,
a1=1.9975076768481341,
a2=-0.9975191567276877,
biquad2,
b0=0.9998504514275949,
b1=-1.999300316144861,
b2=0.9994760515850843,
a1=1.999300316144861,
a2=-0.9993265030126791,
biquad3,
b0=1.0002915364256721,
b1=-1.9995680176434445,
b2=0.9993228044142265,
a1=1.9995680176434445,
a2=-0.9996143408398988,
etc...

dexotaku

Folks, can anyone suggest a VST plug-in that can import REW equalization biquads?
I haven't found one that takes the txt files directly, but you can use REW's filters exported as impulse responses with a convolver plugin like NadIR* (which I use to EQ studio monitors live through/from Reaper, for example, using filter IRs created by REW). This only does two channels but there may be a multichannel equivalent out there.
Another option depending on what you're trying to achieve is using Equalizer APO (on Windows, at least) either directly or through something that can use it as an output insert like VB-Audio's Voicemeeter.

*edit: NadIR is part of the STL Ignite free plugin bundle, not intending to advertise, just an example of something that can do the job
*edit: also found ConvolverVST while looking for more: (convolver.sourceforge.net)
*editedit: wow, did not initially notice that's old (2006) and 32-bit only. nonfunctional.

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
I wonder what hardware or software application is going to host that VST plugin your looking for? It seems that a script or bit of code could read that REW biquad output text file and translate it into a VST plugin input file... I wonder if someone has already done this... Might be handy...

dexotaku

I wonder what hardware or software application is going to host that VST plugin your looking for? It seems that a script or bit of code could read that REW biquad output text file and translate it into a VST plugin input file... I wonder if someone has already done this... Might be handy...
Agreed. :)
What might be really cool is if someone could translate the basics of Equalizer APO (which uses REW's filter text files directly, among many other things) into a VST plugin.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
It seems there is a bit of math to get back and forth between biquads and bandpass filters... Beyond that there is finding the format of how a particular VST plugin might internally store EQ parameters... And what hardware or software app would host such a plugin... Something like rePhase maybe? A plugin by itself does not make much sense to me... I use Audirvana with Apple's AudioUnit plugins like AUNBandEQ for instance... Maybe someone would open the kimono a bit more...

ola1

For reasons that I cannot explain, any attempt to use the EQ settings generated by REW in any EQ plugin, was not as impressive as the alternative, which is to generate the correction filters as impulses, to be used in a convolution plugin.

I would suggest using Liquidsonics Reverberate as the convolution plugin, but you are welcome to use other convolution plugins..

I would not suggest using Nadir, or any of the plugins used for guitar cabinet or amp modelling, as a convolution plugin, cos these are not as accurate (I have tested these using signal analysers, so pretty sure of this assertion/observation)

REW + measurement microphone with individual calibration file + high quality DA/AD converters + good balanced cables + REW generated correction filter impulses + a good convolution plugin such as Liquidsonics Reverberate + good 64 bit DAW or plugin host, such as Reaper 5, have been lifesavers to my audio system, produces spectacular results best I have ever heard in my home studio.

dexotaku

Thanks for the better plugin recommendation, ola1. NADIR was the first thing I could find that worked with WAV files directly and was a free short-term solution.

ola1

Thanks for the better plugin recommendation, ola1. NADIR was the first thing I could find that worked with WAV files directly and was a free short-term solution.

Oh my my, I could tell you tales of frustration, and joy. It took me about 3 years to eventually arrive at a technique that I am really happy with, with regard to Digital Room Correction - aka Digital Speaker and Room Correction.. (which is what I think gets corrected, a combination of the room and speaker anomalies are somewhat reversed).

I started off with DRC, the tool, to generate correction filter impulses, loaded into a convolution plugin, in combination with REW for measurement. and that was a revelation.

Then tried the EQ generated in REW, to correct measurements also done in REW, but I was never happy with the result, and the result varied with every EQ Plugin. Eventually I learnt that EQ's really are not a standard, i.e parametric EQ's all use different methods for the slopes - so while they may use common criteria like gain, and Q and center frequencies for each filter, but there really is no standard for the slope used by each filter, which then makes it a really difficult thing to get the EQ to deliver exactly what REW's filter corrections intended. I am a layman so take this with a pinch of salt, nevertheless I am fairly confident in this assertion.

Nirvana was when I arrived at REW correction filter impulses, running in a decent convolution plugin, in combination with REW for measurement and I have been ever so happy. There are a few more tricks to the method, but it would take far too long to describe in a blog ( I have attempted to a few times, but a blog is simply a difficult act to follow, so I have promised myself I will write a short book about this - for one main reason - the developer of REW deserves some publicity for such a generous gift and its my only way of saying thank you to him, so share what I have learned about using his tool)

Excellent Free Convolution plugins

1. Liquidsonics Reverberate, plugin for convolution, has a free version, for Windows (not sure about Mac version) but you can check if you are on a Mac.

2. If you use Reaper there is also a very good convolution plugin included, ReaVerb which has options for loading convolution impulses e.g those generated by REW.

3. Freeverb3 from here https://www.nongnu.org/freeverb3/ , is also pretty pretty good and free. one of the plugins within supports convolution via impose response files, such as those generated by REW.

Each of these convolution plugins has their own quirks, i.e settings to ensure the convolution process occurs without any additional artefacts... apologies as I can't cover this in my response.

I have no issue recommending any of these three convolution plugins.

I developed a method for comparing the accuracy of convolution plugins in an objective manner, using analysis tools, and these three were the best, not just of the free ones, but were as good in accuracy as any paid convolution plugins I have. Truth be told, some paid convolution plugins were not as accurate as these free ones, Yes a huge surprise, which can be proven by both listening and using 100% objective audio analysis tools.

Maybe as a bonus, I'll include this convolution plugin comparison method and results, in the short book. to justify my recommendations...

It was this process, albeit preceded by listening tests that showed me how not accurate many of the convolution tools used in guitar amp/cab/mic simulators like Nadir can be, from the stand point of accurate convolution, worthy of audio or music reproduction via speakers

All the best.

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Thanks for the suggestion ola1... Liquidsonics Reverberate 2 (as a plugin) sounds pretty nice on first listen with Qobuz via Audirvana...

I wonder if John Mulcahy, the author of REW, has thought of creating his own REW convolution plugin?

Last edited:

ola1

Thanks for the suggestion ola1... Liquidsonics Reverberate 2 (as a plugin) sounds pretty nice on first listen with Qobuz via Audirvana... Still does not directly solve the OP's issue or did we miss something...

I wonder if John Mulcahy, the author of REW, has thought of creating his own REW convolution plugin?
Please re-read the posts, as I may have edited, for clarity.

From my previous post, and quite a bit of testing with the three recommended plugins, for me, I do not think there would be any value in the REW author bothering to develop a convolution plugin, cos pretty decent ones already exist.

One of the vagaries of software plugins is maintenance. Ensuring that the plugin is compatible with every single DAW out there and runs on both Mac, Windows, and all the plugin formats = VST, VST3, AU, AAX, RTAS, in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, can be quite an undertaking., and every time a new DAW is released, it could break the compatibility, e.g the release of Catalina for Mac in recent times, broke almost all plugins for Mac, and needed major redevelopment by all of the large commercial plugin makers - and they do this as a business.

Of course if John wanted to take this on, who am I to suggest he does not go ahead with this.

My point in the earlier post was that, IMHO and experience, the EQ approach based on software plugin EQ's, has been an inconsistent one, so even if you do find a plugin that can import those parameters from REW, it may not generate the result intended by REW's correction.

I then went on to suggest a method - using impulses generated by REW, and loaded into convolution plugins, which I have found to deliver an extremely consistent results using different convolution plugins.

I assume, that the OP's objective was, at the heart of it, to find an efficient method of implementing REW's correction in a plugin, with their question asking about how to do this via an EQ plugin. Key within the OP's question was the need to retain the accuracy of REW's eq suggestions, and avoid manual data transfer. (see the OP's 3rd post in this thread, where this need is explicitly stated). Manual transfer has both time/efficiency issues as well as accuracy - do easy to forget a negative sign and end up with a completely different result.

By redirecting the OP, or anyone else, to a more accurate method of implementing this audio correction in a plugin, using convolution, rather than parametric equalisation., this should answer the real question that the OP was asking, which was ensuring an accurate implementation of REW's computed correction.

Furthermore, using a convolution based method, inherently uses convolution files generated by REW with no change in these files, which also eliminates any potential for an error in translation, cos the intermediary format for the transfer of REW's correction, becomes impulse files, which remain unchanged when imported into convolution plugins.

If I may add, there are also a good number of convolution tools, some free, which support this approach.(using convolution impulse files).., compared to the number of DAW compliant parametric eq plugins that could implement what he had in mind - automated support for REW's EQ filter export file format.

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Apologies ola1... I think I was posting in response to your post #9... Maybe I should have been more correct in quoting the post I am replying to... I edited out a statement which I thought sounded out of place... Sorry for the confusion... You have seem to have solved the OP's question/issue and I have learned a lot in the process... And found another nice way to sweeten my streaming digital content... Thank you!!!

P.S. I would be very interested in those "few more tricks to the method" you refer to in post #11... Where was that blog? Or how do I order that book? :reading:

Last edited:

dexotaku

Thanks again for sharing your experience ola1, that's useful information.

Andrew07

Registered
Hello Ola1,

What you describe is exactly what I have been searching for :) probably a lot of other folk too...

I do have a couple of questions ... :)

Where do you place, for example, the liquidsonics plugin?

In your DAW or between the output of the DAW and the D/A convertor?

I guess the "impulse player" would need to be able to run as a stand alone unit.

I am using a Mac and have been searching for a stand alone eq or now ... impulse response "module" as the last stage before D/A.

Something that I can feed from my DAW output.

But haven't found anything yet...

If I place the "impulse player" on my master bus when mixing, it would not be useful as the "effect" would get mixed down in my track. If you follow me?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

ola1

Hello Ola1,

What you describe is exactly what I have been searching for :) probably a lot of other folk too...

I do have a couple of questions ... :)

Where do you place, for example, the liquidsonics plugin?

In your DAW or between the output of the DAW and the D/A convertor?

I guess the "impulse player" would need to be able to run as a stand alone unit.

I am using a Mac and have been searching for a stand alone eq or now ... impulse response "module" as the last stage before D/A.

Something that I can feed from my DAW output.

But haven't found anything yet...

If I place the "impulse player" on my master bus when mixing, it would not be useful as the "effect" would get mixed down in my track. If you follow me?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Depending on your DAW, there are several ways to do this.

1. Insert the convolution plugin on the Monitoring Bus. I use Reaper which has a dedicated Monitoring FX buss, which is not included in any mixdown, but only affects audio which is sent to the audio interface., i.e you hear the effect of the convolution plugin in your speakers/headphones, but not in your mixdowns.

2. Route all your audio which should go to the master bus, via an additional stereo bus, which is then routed to the master bus. Place the convolution plugin on the master bus. but at mixdown - use only the render from the additional stereo bus, which does not have the convolution plugin applied.

Most DAW's now have a Monitoring FX buss, so method 1 is what I would suggest you research in your DAW.

Andrew07

Registered
Hello Ola1
Thanks, your reply pretty much confirms what I thought :)

I think the impulse approach is really very exciting :)
thanks again for putting me on this trail :)

If you do write a book or pamphlet please send a link :)
Thanks
best regards
Andrew

ilia.smirnov

Registered
Hi Is there are other plug-ins for Mac besides Liquidsonics (cannot activate it even in trial mode + there is no free version), Reaverb as far as I see cannot be used outside of Reaper, Freeverb3 does not start on Big Sur due to an unverified developer.

Or maybe I'll ask differently - how to organize a convolver on a mac to apply REW setting on the fly and see how it affect the measurements? At the moment I'm trying to use SoundSourse app, which allows to apply effects to the standard output of a Mac, and I wanted to find a convolver to accomplish the task. Maybe there is another way?

Tgorle

I'll be experimenting with a VST convolver since reading this thread...
Here's a free one, Convology XT: hXXps://impulserecord.com/project/convology-xt-plugin/
Thrilled that my DAW outputs and WDM playback are now consistent with REW.

After averaging several measurements around my sweet spot for each Left & Right, I created a Vectored MinimumPhase version of each, then exported a stereo filtered IR of the Vectors from REW.
I finally discovered Equalizer APO has an Advance Filters/Convolution option where you can load the IR file directly, and you're done as far as WDM audio... so no more messing with 20 parametric EQ bands on each side...

This Minimum Phase export looks a lot cleaner than the standard export, (Phase view in Adobe Audition3)

Last edited:

Tgorle

Equalizer APO interface with Convolution running the REW Impulse Response (extra image of Analysis panel showing Right channel as well). Just needed to add the preamps to
reduce gain based on the channel needing the most to stay below peaking.

bowl_actually

This is a bit of an old thread, but I just found it and am looking to do exactly what is described.

First question, did ola1 ever create the blog or the book? That might shortcut my questions.

It looks like liquidsonics reverberate is now liquidsonics reverberate 3 and is no longer free, it's $99. Not that it's out of the question to purchase, but curious what the current "best" free tools are for doing this? I use Studio One and it looks like I can use "open air" although I'm not totally sure how to set things like "tail length" and a few other things, so might be better to have something else.

Probably more important than the actual convolution plugin, as I can probably find one of those or purchase reverberate 3, are the tips and tricks to getting this done.

What I'm attempting right now is:
- Shoot the room, L/R separately and average of several positions.
- In REW, take all the "L" positions and create and average graph, do the same for "R"
- In the EQ section, create a generic filter for the averaged L and another for the averaged R.
- Once the filters are created, close the EQ window
- Go to file/export and select export filters impulse response as wav. Then select the appropriate graphs for R and L
- From my experimenting, it is tricky to get the "level" correct in the wav file. If you choose "normalize" it seems to come out too loud and if you don't it seems to come out to quiet. I would prefer the convolution reverb NOT change the level when I engage it. I've currently mitigated this by bringing the impulse wav into my DAW and tweaking the level, but maybe there is a better way.

Thanks for any help.

More  
StormAudio ISP.32 AVB
Main Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry MEGASchino MONO's
Additional Amp
Digital Amp Company Cherry Maraschino's
HTPC
Front Speakers
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Center Channel Speaker
JTR Speakers Noesis 215RM
Surround Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Front Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Speakers Slant 8
Subwoofers
4 ea JTR Speakers Captivator S2's
Infinite Baffle - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX7
Screen
Seymour AV Retractable CenterStage XD
One can use up to 10 stage REW generated biquads directly in JRiver Media Center 29 (Windows, Mac, or Linux) without any VST plugin required. You can add as many biquad filters as you want.
Choose miniDSP in REW as the equalizer.
Click "Save coefficients to file" in REW
In JRiver, open the DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer and select Custom Biquad Filter. Then choose the filter that was just saved in REW. Repeat as necessary. Make sure the Parametric Equalizer is turned on in JRiver for the filters to be active.

bowl_actually

One can use up to 10 stage REW generated biquads directly in JRiver Media Center 29 (Windows, Mac, or Linux) without any VST plugin required. You can add as many biquad filters as you want.
Choose miniDSP in REW as the equalizer.
Click "Save coefficients to file" in REW
In JRiver, open the DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer and select Custom Biquad Filter. Then choose the filter that was just saved in REW. Repeat as necessary. Make sure the Parametric Equalizer is turned on in JRiver for the filters to be active.

True, except if you use an ASIO interface, which all the pro interfaces are, then my understanding is that it gets bypassed as ASIO talks from your DAW direct to the hardware by passing the OS an all those tools.

Not to mention I want it on my DAW bus so I can easily turn it on/off inside my DAW as I'm mixing.

Last edited:

ola1

This is a bit of an old thread, but I just found it and am looking to do exactly what is described.

First question, did ola1 ever create the blog or the book? That might shortcut my questions.

It looks like liquidsonics reverberate is now liquidsonics reverberate 3 and is no longer free, it's $99. Not that it's out of the question to purchase, but curious what the current "best" free tools are for doing this? I use Studio One and it looks like I can use "open air" although I'm not totally sure how to set things like "tail length" and a few other things, so might be better to have something else.

Probably more important than the actual convolution plugin, as I can probably find one of those or purchase reverberate 3, are the tips and tricks to getting this done.

What I'm attempting right now is:
- Shoot the room, L/R separately and average of several positions.
- In REW, take all the "L" positions and create and average graph, do the same for "R"
- In the EQ section, create a generic filter for the averaged L and another for the averaged R.
- Once the filters are created, close the EQ window
- Go to file/export and select export filters impulse response as wav. Then select the appropriate graphs for R and L
- From my experimenting, it is tricky to get the "level" correct in the wav file. If you choose "normalize" it seems to come out too loud and if you don't it seems to come out to quiet. I would prefer the convolution reverb NOT change the level when I engage it. I've currently mitigated this by bringing the impulse wav into my DAW and tweaking the level, but maybe there is a better way.

Thanks for any help.

There is a version of the free Liquidsonics LE (version 1) for Windows, which you can download from here. It's 32 bit binary only, not 64 bit, but functionally and from an accuracy of processing - not a single negative introduced by this limitation. I use Reaper, which is able to do the 32 bit to 64 bit bridging natively, so no issues, for me.

I did a measured test, sorry the process is a bit too long to describe, but it was using a test signal and viewing the results in REW, and I found Liquidsonics LE and the convolution plugin in Reaper - ReaEQ, 100% identical in their measured results.

Convolution is a pretty simple and exact process, typically there should be absolutely no difference between the results of two different convolution plugins, until you do advanced things like modify the impulse with EQ/Filters, or apply time modification such as stretching or time reduction to the impulse within the convolution plugin. These extra tweaks should be avoided, if using correction impulses generated by REW.

So you can have a free excellent convolution plugin with Liquidsonics LE or in ReaVerb, which comes with Reaper.

I invested so many hours in trying to produce a good result using measurement, and correction with impulses computed by REW.

I did achieve some improvement, and a relatively inexpensive set of active monitors did sound more even.

But looking back if I was to do this again, the question is - where should I put my time and/or money. On one hand some equalisation correction is good to have, but in a small room, I ask myself a lot of questions, the 1st being, how much music do I listen to or mix with these speakers, cos that will determine how much effort to put into this.

How well is my room treated? In my case I live in a rented place, so it is impossible to put up any treatment on the walls. So I already have things that I probably should have wanted to be able to deal with 1st, and ideally have enough room to place the speakers a little bit far into the room, or soffit, if possible.

As much as REW is an excellent too, and it has opened up DRC(Digital Room Correction) to a lot of people, it is not a commercial solution, so it has some downsides, there is not a single clear prescriptive set of instructions for achieving a good result with the tool, and or measurement microphones. Sure with a bit of trial and error, one can get a result, but the documentation is a reference, not a guide - do this, do that next, listen, enjoy your great result ...

For those who have time, sure REW and what I call manual DRC is an interesting proposition.

Over time, albeit, they are expensive, very expensive, we now have products like Genelec's the Ones, such as the product at the link below, which has accessories such as a GLM kit(with measurement microphone) and software, that enables you tune the speakers even further, in your room.

This solution is not cheap, definitely not - expensive speakers and software, and a dedicated measurement microphone.

So this is my dilemma, having to admit that if I want a really good sounding listening environment, with speakers, I have to spend a lot of money, and that includes treating my room.

I have been over many years, poring over the analysis of good speakers, and there is something which I would call their impulse response, which all good speakers have. Or also known as the step impulse. i.e. how accurately the speaker reproduces the audio signal.

You'll find may high quality reviews of a good number of well known studio monitors here. Most of the speaker reviews include a chart of their step response, as well as frequency response.

And here is an example from the page above, of a speaker with pretty good measured results.

I am not sure how much value correcting speakers adds, if the speakers themselves are not top notch, in the 1st place.

In conclusion, once upon a time, it would have required at least $50,000, and probably a lot more, to put together a decent home studio. More like $100,000. for a project studio.

As much as one would hope to achieve same with about $3,000 in today's money, the reality, is it is still not cheap to put together a high quality studio, more like $20,000 to $25,000, if one adds in the cost of excellent speakers, room treatment, and a high end correction solution such as Trinnov, audio interface, computer(with our without DSP, like UAD's) and software(DAW + plugins).

I had hoped I could achieve something similar on the cheap, with an inexpensive measurement microphone and relatively inexpensive studio monitors which originally cost about $500 for the pair, and some free software like REW, and the convolution plugins which are also free or very low cost. Sure as a hobby, I'd still use this same approach, but for anything more serious, I'd save up and invest in more expensive speakers, room treatment, then on top of that some higher quality speaker correction, based on a commercial solution like Genelec GLM or Trinnov. In all of this I'd still consider that 70% of the end result is due to the speakers 20% due to the room treatment, and any speaker correction adds the final 10%.

I think REW is a great tool, but it needs a lot of work, to use it effectively. I had to give up my plan to write a book about REW and speaker correction, when I realised it was just the tip of the iceberg.

Top Bottom