REW EQ Filters on Two Subs

408Revo

Hi, first off thanks everyone for all the help everyone has provided me, greatly appreciate it. It’s been a couple months since I fell into this rabbit hole and the more I learn the more amaze I am with using REW.

I’m currently working on aligning two subs using a mini DSP. I’ve notice that when adding my second sub it hurts my 1st sub at certain frequencies as the dbs go down and at other frequencies it does the opposite, dbs go up.

So what I’ve done is inserted negative filters on my second sub at those frequencies where the dbs drop on my 1st sub and notice a great improvement as the negative effect starts to disappear. Doesn’t go away completely but does help.

Is this correct what I’m doing? Is it ok to add filters to a second sub when trying to add it to the first?

3dbinCanada

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RX-A3060, RX-V1900, RX-V1075
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BD-S681, Sony UBP-X800, Oppo BDP-83
Front Speakers
PSB Image T65, PSB Century 800, PSB Century 300
Center Channel Speaker
PSB Image 8C, PSB Century200, PSB Century 100
Surround Speakers
PSB Image 1B, RBH A600, PSB Alpha Minis
Surround Back Speakers
PSB Image 1B
Subwoofers
Rythmik LV12-R, PSB Subsonic 6, PSB Subsonic 5
Video Display Device
UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"/UN50MU7100 50"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Equipment
BlueSound Node2i
I'm no expert in REW but I have used it to control 3 subs in the great room system and two subs in the basement system. I used REW to generate the filter coefficients after I played with the delay settings and inverted the phase on one of my subs.

Here are the delay settings
Sub1: 10ms Inverted
Sub2: 1.45ms
Sub3: 3ms

Here's what REW predicted it could do for me. That's the red line supper imposed on the target curve (blue trace). The other red trace is the combined sub response with delays and inversions Pre REW EQ
Prediction Traces.jpg

The next graph shows the actual response of the combined subs after REW EQ them and the filter coefficients downloaded into a miniDSP 2x4HD.

Combined Sub Response PreEQ vs Post Eq.jpg

I used this link to get me started..

Gerry Iaria

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz Cinema 50
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony X800
Front Speakers
Arendal 1961 monitors
Center Channel Speaker
Arendal 1961 centre monitor
Surround Speakers
Altec c1
Surround Back Speakers
Totem Acoustic Dream catcher
Subwoofers
Arendal Sub1- Ken Kreisel 800
Screen
Samsung S95C 77inch
Remote Control
yes, L.O.L
Streaming Equipment
Apple
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple,Netflix, Prime, Skyanytime
I'm no expert in REW but I have used it to control 3 subs in the great room system and two subs in the basement system. I used REW to generate the filter coefficients after I played with the delay settings and inverted the phase on one of my subs.

Here are the delay settings
Sub1: 10ms Inverted
Sub2: 1.45ms
Sub3: 3ms

Here's what REW predicted it could do for me. That's the red line supper imposed on the target curve (blue trace). The other red trace is the combined sub response with delays and inversions Pre REW EQ
View attachment 68793

The next graph shows the actual response of the combined subs after REW EQ them and the filter coefficients downloaded into a miniDSP 2x4HD.

View attachment 68794

I used this link to get me started..

looks very good to me :T

Hi, first off thanks everyone for all the help everyone has provided me, greatly appreciate it. It’s been a couple months since I fell into this rabbit hole and the more I learn the more amaze I am with using REW.

I’m currently working on aligning two subs using a mini DSP. I’ve notice that when adding my second sub it hurts my 1st sub at certain frequencies as the dbs go down and at other frequencies it does the opposite, dbs go up.

So what I’ve done is inserted negative filters on my second sub at those frequencies where the dbs drop on my 1st sub and notice a great improvement as the negative effect starts to disappear. Doesn’t go away completely but does help.

Is this correct what I’m doing? Is it ok to add filters to a second sub when trying to add it to the first?
Here is our new video on the topic:

Top Bottom