REW did not shut down normally

oliver

Hi John,
i am on OSX Ventura 13.6, latest REW build.
I had a computer crash and REW didn't shut down normally.
I had lot of different measurements already saved and few new usaved.
On the next startup REW offered to load any measurements made since it last started up, but even if most of them where saved, all the measurements did not have anymore the original name but a name accordingly to this selection:

Screenshot 2023-10-22 alle 10.47.41.png

Is there a way to keep the same name of the already saved measurements?

thank you.
Oliver.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Temporary measurement copies are labelled with a timestamp to prevent name collisions. You can identify which are the ones you had already saved from the time they were made.

neodog

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Other Speakers or Equipment
ECM8000 mic
Just encountered this for the third time in a week. REW is telling me about "50 unsaved measurements in the temp folder", but 44 of these should either have been saved already, or deleted. But it seems I have to open them all in order to find the ones that weren't previously saved or deleted, and in order to do that I apparently had to bump the tab count to 60.

This is going to keep getting worse unless something starts removing temp files. An unexpected shutdown happens every time the OS takes a mandatory update or the laptop battery dies. Can REW not move files out of temp when they are deleted or saved? How do measurement files under temp normally get deleted?

neodog

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
ECM8000 mic
Good to know. Is that the only thing that deletes them? Does anything actually get deleted when you "remove" a measurement from the REW window, or is "remove" really just a codeword for "close without saving to the save folder"?

Would be nice if REW could record the items that were "deleted" or "saved" and only enumerate the found temp files not in those lists upon recovery. That would offer 7 days of recovery period for all files, but greatly simplify the recovery process for files that weren't saved or deleted previously.

In the meantime, Control+Backspace (to close one file) is my friend.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Remove removes the measurement from the REW application, it doesn't do anything to the file system.

neodog

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
ECM8000 mic
Perfect, that fills a few gaps.

Just to illustrate the challenge with using timestamps as a recovery hint, I have been tactically taking two measurements and keeping one (after assessing repeatability and incidental noise). So in the last 10 measurements I would keep only 5; they are interleaved, and not necessarily a predictable manner. After a recovery I have to re-evaluate all those pairs and decide which 5 to dismiss again.

I suppose I can add a note to discarded measurements before I discard them.

neodog

Registered
More  
Computer Audio
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
ECM8000 mic
I suppose I can add a note to discarded measurements before I discard them.
Wait, that wouldn't work would it... temp files are the original measurements, they wouldn't have any notes added since the measurement was taken.

Top Bottom