REW Beta 41 installation anomalies

AustinJerry

I downloaded and installed the latest beta (41) on my laptop and received this error:

REW Installation Error.PNG

I clicked Cancel, loaded REW, and saw that the installed version is still beta 40. Is this related to the error and, if so, how can I fix it?

REW Version.PNG

BTW, I ran the same installation file on my desktop and received no error, and the version is showing beta 41. Wonder what could be different on the laptop?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Isn't that your AV intervening again? Seem to recall you posted an odd message previously when the installer tries to create that temporary image file. I use Windows built-in security personally, I gave up years ago on trying to chase down and fix the OS damage 3rd party AV apps do.

AustinJerry

Well, I am running the same AV (Norton 360) on both my desktop and laptop. I did not get the error on the desktop. I disabled auto-protect temporarily, re-ran the installation, and received the same error. Don’t know what is going on.

And what about the version number? If I cancel out of the installation error, does this mean beta 41 is not installed? I have “Check for updates” enabled, but when I launch REW, it doesn’t say that a new version is available. And what about all the recent beta updates that I have been installing? They have all installed successfully (since that error I reported quite a while back), so why are some betas installing and this one isn’t?

I guess I could just ignore this issue, wait for tomorrow’s beta, and see if it installs properly.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you cancel the new version will not be installed.

There is an additional option on whether to include beta versions in startup checks, that appears on the update check dialog. I'll add it in the help menu, but "Check for updates now" will check regardless and show the dialog.

Has anything changed in your user permissions on the laptop? Installation requires admin privileges, User Account Control should show a prompt to escalate permission when you run the installer ("Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device").

If you go to the Program Files\REW\.install4j folder there should be an installation.log file that may provide some more clues, but it looks like the installer isn't being allowed to write to the disc so it may not be able to create the log file either.

AustinJerry

We have probably already spent more time on this issue than warranted. But there is still something peculiar going on. Consider these facts:

- Beta 40 installed on the same laptop with no error.
- When installing beta 41, I get the Permissions pop-up asking for permission to proceed, and I click yes, but the installation generates the error I posted previously.
- If I right-click on the beta 41 installation file and select "Run as administrator", the installation completes with no error and REW reports beta version 41 is successfully installed. (Why didn't I have to do this with beta 40?)

Going forward, I will always use the "Run as Administrator" option, so we probably won't be discussiong this issue again.

FYI, here are the permissions for the directory:

REW Install Permissions.PNG

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The beta 40 installer is exactly the same as the beta 41 installer, so whatever has changed it isn't the installer.

AustinJerry

John, I installed beta 40 and 41 back-to-back. Are you suggesting something changed between the two installation? That doesn’t seem likely.

Regardless, problem is solved, so we can move on. My purpose in reporting installation issues is to be helpful, not argumentative.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I am trying to understand how a process can have rights to write to Program Files on one run and then somehow lose those rights on the next. When the installer is run by a normal user without admin privileges the default installation directory is in a user directory, not in program files, and if the user tries to select a program files directory to install in a message is shown that the user has no write privileges for that directory. Something has changed that affects your user account rights when running the installer, perhaps it was previously run with admin rights and now has normal rights? I don't know what has changed, but there should be no need to run the installer as an admin user and I can install beta 41 without any issues from a normal user account, but it installs automatically to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\REW where the user has access rights.

TDifEQ

Registered
Have same issue with windows 10, but on steroids. Can't install latest REW due to permissions issues. Even if I run it as an administrator ... and this is on 2 different laptops.

Permissions.PNG

TDifEQ

Registered
Solved the problem. I disable Super Shield from PCMatic and REW installed. Thanks so much for your help. :)

Top Bottom