REW and UMIK-1 capabilities below 20Hz

Chuck Gerlach

Just starting to again use REW and I'm trying to get clarification of it (and the UMIK-1 mic's) value below 20Hz. While I was under the impression the the UMIK-1 mic was calibrated to 10Hz, the technical data I found said the mic was only good to 20Hz. Also, when I had REW try to calculate filters from 10Hz (which was an option) to 120Hz, it did virtually nothing below 20Hz.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The UMIK-1 cal file starts at 10 Hz, mic is fine, albeit uncalibrated, below that as well. You could extend the cal file roll-off manually if it was important. Filters will not be assigned below the point the measurement first crosses the target to avoid the risk of boosting a driver in a region it cannot support, but you can manually add filters if you like.

Chuck Gerlach

Thanks. I did create a filter manually to fix the below 20Hz issue - which was probably inaudible :).

Also, having now just gotten back into REW (only because I need to use MSO), it has LOTS more capabilities than when I first tried to use it a very, very long time ago. And given it now runs on a Mac and the wonderful youtube videos on how to use it, getting up and running, while not instantaneous, was a lot faster (and more successful) that when I first tired to use it on a PC. Great product! How do I make a contribution to you (or whomever) for it's value to me!!

Chuck Gerlach

I did. There are many places to go to search for answers of new user questions. (I have many questions). Do you recommend here or AVS or ???? On line tutorials have been very helpful, and I've gotten some assistance on AVS. I don't want to over burden you but if this is the best site, I will come here for assistance.

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Depends a little what kind of questions. I recommend this forum for questions about REW. There are a few good places for advice on acoustics or treatments. AustinJerry's AVS thread is a good place to get practical help from REW users, I check on it periodically.

Top Bottom