REW acting weird for levels, taking forever, nonsense results...

BusyBoxSt7

Registered
I've used REW in the past and never had any issues. I loaded it a few nights ago again and it worked perfectly fine. Then I tried it last night and got all the following problems.
1) The level calibration does not seem to be reading accurately. What was 83 on my volume knob a few nights ago is now like 60 something and it would likely blow out my speakers to turn it to what it now thinks is 83. Side note, what's a typical adequate level anyway?
2) When I run a measurement, it either takes over a minute (I'd estimate) if I have "capture noise floor" checked, where it used to take a few seconds. Perhaps I just didn't have that checked previously, but the major thing is after the sine sweep happens, it sits calculating or doing something for several minutes (where it used to be a few seconds and FR popped out.
3) The results if I do wait for several minutes, they look like absolute nonsense, massive spikes near 1 and 2K, perfectly narrow spikes that persist for eons, etc. very odd.
Any clues? I'll attach a before and after .... (ignore the 60hz in the before, that was the fridge compressor, ha).. Note also, the "nonsense" file is from 1 foot away from the speaker, whereas the earlier one was at listening position. I've swept these speakers before, they certainly don't have insane spikes around 1-2K.
side note, anyone know why I have to put periods for each paragraph separation in this post? Otherwise the separation keeps getting removed.

Attachments

• room 4:1:24.png
    room 4:1:24.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 5
  • nonsense REW.png
    nonsense REW.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sounds like something is broken. You can generate a diagnostic file via the entry in the Help menu and attach it here.

Top Bottom