REW Beta Release REW 5.20.5 - just keeps getting better! Now REW calibrates to any reference level!

Sacenti

Hi John!
I wasn't using it for a few months, I was on version 5.20.3. Today I needed to do some measurements on my HT, a warning came to change the version of REW 5.20.5, and I noticed a significant level tolerance in the calibration level process. (I always strictly followed the recommendations - but this time I tried to calibrate it with what was in the room, started with 67dB SPL and got a great surprise)
It was amazing how the REW behaved well when calibrating the sound level from 67dB to 77dB SPL and without touching the microphone level, it also varied along with the SPL level, I did not respect the 75dB reference recommended by the REW.
I suffered a lot when calibrating analog and usb mics...if the calibration level didn't meet the recommended >= 30 DBFS mic...the RTA didn't run well - it crashed!
It was a surprise how REW now no longer crashes when using RTA when levels calibration are different from the recommended 75dB SP by REW...
Congratulations John for the excellent work and, finally solving this feature - REW always calibrates regardless of the chosen fate level in the work job.
There are some "REW's" out there, but the real one, the real one, is only the one developed by John Mulcahy
You are the man!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Could you attach or send me a zipped copy of your REW log files folder? The location is shown in the About REW dialog, I'd like to check what might have been captured from the crashes you mentioned.

Sacenti

John, I had no problems this time I used REW in v. 20.5, so nothing would help my log report, I think you won't find anything wrong there in this new version I used because it's all right now with levels in my opinion. Thank you for your usual interest and attention.
My interest was to give you feedback on this part of the calibration which has always been very unstable for me in the matter of the right levels for reliable and robust measurements.
When I learned to use the REW following Aunstim Jerry's tutorial (2013 - 2016), he recommended paying close attention to the correct levels in the calibration suggested by the REW. I remember very well the little tolerance of signal levels for the REW to work well without crashes. That's what I'm referring to... REW is very flexible in that part of calibration now, in these versions from 20.4, and it's easy to calibrate for both USB mic and analog mic now for me... it doesn't have to be anymore crimped at 75dB SPL reference, that's all I have to say and praise.
(My measurement set remains the same as it was 10 years ago, making measurements with Asio, Java, HDMI, Aux analog input, USB mic - Analog Mic LinearX, SoundBlaster sound card, Dell Latitude). Thank you!

Top Bottom