REW 5.14 and higher freezes on start

benrumsey

Registered
I cannot get rew 5.14 - 5.20rc14 to run, both 32 bit and 64 bit. It loads and then immediately freezes. When I hold the mouse over the close button it just blinks and I have to kill it with task manager. rew 5.13 works fine. I am running avast and have tried disabling it with no affect. I have also tried reinstalling java 8 32 bit and 64 bit. I also have vmware workstation installed, not sure if other vm software can interfere. I don't see a log file, unless I am looking in the wrong place.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
32.0 GB Ram

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎3/‎20/‎2021
OS build 19042.1165
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

benrumsey

Registered
Nothing helpful in the log file that I can see.

Attachments

• rew_output.txt
    98 bytes · Views: 8
  • roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    252 bytes · Views: 6

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, no clues there. Could try running the installer with hardware graphics acceleration deselected to see if that makes any difference.

benrumsey

Registered
reinstalled with no graphics acceleration and 512mb memory limit, no difference. with a fresh install the help window comes up automatically and is also frozen. I don't know what the difference between 5.13 and 5.14 is that would make it not run. I didn't see anything major in the change log for 5.14.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Perhaps there is some issue with the Java runtime on AMD Ryzen, I found another comment about REW not running on "Threadripper 16 cores".

benrumsey

Registered
I will do some experimenting and try to get more information. I thought only early ryzen had virtualization issues. maybe I will try running it inside a vm.

benrumsey

Registered
It ran inside a vmware windows 10 pro vm running in windows 10 without an issue. Not sure what to make of that, any ideas?

benrumsey

Registered
After some exhaustive testing I found the issue. I have a cronus max game controller adapter, unplugging that device fixed all of my issues.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Good job figuring that out. Why it caused a problem I have no idea. Some software that alters the way the OS UI operates can cause issues, not sure if the adapter falls into that category.

Top Bottom