Revised Thoughts on Bass Management

diverdog

Delaying my theater construction has given me the opportunity to do a lot of improvements to my education. I’m a long time pro audio engineer / manager so my scientific base is solid but there are so many awesome researchers and professionals that are constantly refining the state of the art. Learning from others offers big shortcuts for optimal results.

At this point I know the physical parameters of the room (17' L X 18.5' W X 10' H) and I’m concentrating on minimizing issues that electronics can’t fix. I’m firmly convinced by 45 years of experience and education that the room is responsible for 50% of the sound quality. Moderately priced equipment in a great room sounds awesome. Extremely expensive equipment in a bad room sounds mediocre.

I’m impressed with REW"s modeling function that will plot variations of frequency response from seat to seat. I’m stunned with the predicted UNEQUALIZED sub woofer response in the two primary seats of my single row four seat room. The seating is placed away from nasty first and second order null locations. The sub placement is based on the work of Harman’s Todd Welti and is designed to cancel out nulls. I’m lucky in that the four corner placement is the most efficient in all cases and also has the least variation in my room. The third factor is the ASC IsoWall construction. A floating double layer with viscoelastic pads between layers. It acts as a big bass absorber, minimizing sharp nulls and peaks. The broad peaks between 55 and 100hz will be easy to EQ.

I need to recess the back subs into the rear wall so I’m limited on depth. It looks like four HSU ULS 15MK2 Will be the most cost effective sub that will fit. I’m doing all of the construction myself and I’m too lazy to do custom sub builds. As Rolls Royce says, I’m sure the four 15” subs in a 3,100 cu ft room will be “adequate”. It will really be interesting to see the actual VS predicted when It's built.

Bass Sim 4 Corners crop.png

Murray Treloar

Registered
I think you would enjoy Mitch Barnett's video at accuratesound dot ca. I used his earlier book (on Amazon Kindle) and Audiovero's Acourate to tune my 2+2 setup. IMHO, a much better approach than EQ.

diverdog

I think you would enjoy Mitch Barnett's video at accuratesound dot ca. I used his earlier book (on Amazon Kindle) and Audiovero's Acourate to tune my 2+2 setup. IMHO, a much better approach than EQ.
Thanks! I'll check it out.

diverdog

Very interesting! A great overview on how DSP may be applied

Top Bottom