Problems with Acoustic Timing Reference

mrlawng95

Registered
My goal is to test the efficacy of convolution files in HQ Player. I've setup my measurement system which consists of a MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2i2 (Gen 2), and a Dayton Audio EMM-6 (calibrated). I'm measuring a 2.2 channel system (two satellites and two subs). Using the loopback timing method and the Focusrite as the signal generator, I'm able to get accurate, repeatable measurements of each speaker. Below is an example of the right satellite using loopback which provided spot-on distance measurements of 4.13 feet (green), next is the measurement taken using the acoustical timing reference (gold) which yielded identical frequency response but no distance results, and the last measurement is the same sweep played through HQ Player via an 80hz high pass and low pass filter to the right satellite and sub playing the sweep together. I'm also getting the same exact results (acoustical timing reference) with a UMIK-1. I'm stumped - would be appreciative if anyone has any info on what I might be doing wrong with the acoustical timing reference here?

forum.jpg

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
My goal is to test the efficacy of convolution files in HQ Player. I've setup my measurement system which consists of a MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2i2 (Gen 2), and a Dayton Audio EMM-6 (calibrated). I'm measuring a 2.2 channel system (two satellites and two subs). Using the loopback timing method and the Focusrite as the signal generator, I'm able to get accurate, repeatable measurements of each speaker. Below is an example of the right satellite using loopback which provided spot-on distance measurements of 4.13 feet (green), next is the measurement taken using the acoustical timing reference (gold) which yielded identical frequency response but no distance results, and the last measurement is the same sweep played through HQ Player via an 80hz high pass and low pass filter to the right satellite and sub playing the sweep together. I'm also getting the same exact results (acoustical timing reference) with a UMIK-1. I'm stumped - would be appreciative if anyone has any info on what I might be doing wrong with the acoustical timing reference here?

View attachment 8731

Hi @mrlawng95, I'd like to help you but honestly am not sure what your question or problem is. The graph doesn't show distance and I can't tell what the problem is. The red graph looks odd obviously, but I can't tell what you did to obtain that. If you could provide a little more information and maybe the MDAT file that would help.

mrlawng95

Registered
Hi Matthew. Thanks for your response. My bad for not closing this out. I actually learned that distances for measurements made using a loopback and ones made using the acoustic timing reference are reported a little differently in REW. As such, there is no problem there. The red one it turned out was a weird sweep file I received from someone over email. I heard some slight differences in it from the ones generated in REW, and then went and generated my own REW sweeps which were imported into HQ Player, and I've been off to the races ever since. Thanks.

Top Bottom