Problem with audio from generator

Michael Pember

Registered
I am having problems getting audio to play through my speakers. I am using a MacBook Pro with a MiniDSP USB mic and I can only get the audio to play through my speakers when checking the levels in the Soundcard section in Preferences or when doing a sweep in Measurements, but I get no audio whatsoever when doing a tone generator. What am I missing?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Is the tone you are trying to play at a frequency and level you can hear? The output is the same as for measurement, REW uses the generator to play its sweep and level check signals.

Michael Pember

Registered
Is the tone you are trying to play at a frequency and level you can hear? The output is the same as for measurement, REW uses the generator to play its sweep and level check signals.
Yes, it is. I am trying to set up the SPL level for each speaker so they are the same so I can do a proper sweep measurement.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you post screenshots of your REW soundcard preferences and the generator as you want to use it?

Michael Pember

Registered
Can you post screenshots of your REW soundcard preferences and the generator as you want to use it?
The soundcard preference is set to default. I also set the Mac audio setting to the USB-C to HDMI adaptor. The screenshots are attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.28.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.28.38 PM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.34.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.34.34 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.29.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 5.29.35 PM.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 23

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It is better to select the desired input and output device and the particular input and output on those devices explicitly in REW rather than relying on the OS to provide the default device selection.

Michael Pember

Registered
It is better to select the desired input and output device and the particular input and output on those devices explicitly in REW rather than relying on the OS to provide the default device selection.
I also tried that as well, but my only option for the audio output was the default and the built-in (internal speakers). Either way gave me the same result.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Was the HDMI adaptor plugged in and connected before REW started up? Devices that are connected afterwards may take some time to appear in the list. How is the HDMI interface configured in Audio Midi Setup?

It is difficult to reconcile that checking levels works from the soundcard preferences but not from the generator directly, both do exactly the same thing. If you open the generator before doing the level check from the soundcard preferences you will see REW use it.

Michael Pember

Registered
Was the HDMI adaptor plugged in and connected before REW started up? Devices that are connected afterward may take some time to appear in the list. How is the HDMI interface configured in Audio Midi Setup?

It is difficult to reconcile that checking levels works from the soundcard preferences but not from the generator directly, both do exactly the same thing. If you open the generator before doing the level check from the soundcard preferences you will see REW use it.
I don't recall if I had plugged in the USB/HDMI adaptor prior to starting up. I just tried a quick set up to my laptop prior to starting up REW to see what would populate and it looks like Display Port is what shows up. I will try a full set up later and see that works.

Michael Pember

Registered
I don't recall if I had plugged in the USB/HDMI adaptor prior to starting up. I just tried a quick set up to my laptop prior to starting up REW to see what would populate and it looks like Display Port is what shows up. I will try a full set up later and see if that works.
I was able to to do a full blown test this morning with everything connected. I selected the Display Port as the output device and it worked!! Thank you for the advice John.

Top Bottom