Prevent Truncating Imported .WAV files?

Jrodman1

Registered
Hello,

I am looking to use REW's FFT averaging tools on a series of files that are ten minutes each in length. When I import a file I am prompted that the file has been truncated to 87.4 seconds. On the left measurements panel column REW appears to have performed an FFT on the whole ten minutes in order to derive the thumbnail image yet I can only use the analysis tools on the 87.4 second section. Is there a way I could analyze these ten minute .WAV files without REW truncating them?

Thanks,
J

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW loads the data into memory, the length restriction is to avoid trying to bring in very large files. It only loads the portion indicated. To analyse audio files Sonic Visualiser may work better.

Jrodman1

Registered
I see,

Thank you for the information, unfortunately Sonic Visualiser does not seem to have the averaging functionality that REW has, or at least I seem to be unable to see it. I may just cut the recordings up into 1 minute pieces and slowly use REW's averaging tools to build up to the average I need. I am familiar with REW due to setting up loudspeaker demos and I have since embarked on a journey to develop a degree in Soundscape Ecology. For an undergraduate project, I have placed Autonomous Research Units (ARUs) around an Arboretum in a City and a Commercial Corridor in a City, in order to ID species and show average changes in SPL levels across the Frequency Spectrum over time. I was always struck by REWs intuitive GUI and design, so when confronted with using bioacoustics programs like Raven for instance, I find myself wanting the GUI and functionality of REW. Not to say that Raven and the like haven't been great for species ID because they definitely have, but they just don't have intuitive FFT averaging.

Thanks,
J

John Mulcahy

REW Author
As a possible alternative you can also drag a drop a WAV file or a set of WAV files onto the RTA window.

Top Bottom