Prepping for Amazon Prime Day: What You Need to Know

Prepping for Amazon Prime Day: What You Need to Know

full?d=1499445030.png
(July 7, 2017) This coming Tuesday (July 11) marks Amazon.com’s third annual Prime Day, which is billed as a special sales-ridden shopping event loaded with price-slashing deals. In fact, Amazon claims the day offers “hundreds of thousands of deals, with new deals starting as often as every five minutes,” crisscrossing nearly every product category imaginable (including electronics, movies, and music).

These deals aren’t open to the general public; you must be a Prime Member. Membership has an annual fee of $99 (or $10.99 per month), but if you’re considering giving it a try, Amazon offers a free 30-day tire-kicking trial. And unless you’ve been living under a rock, then you probably know that Prime Membership has amazing benefits, such as free two-day shipping on many purchases, free access to movie and music streaming services, direct shopping through its voice-activated Echo, and more.

The big question for gear heads and home theater enthusiasts is: will Prime Day offer access to incredible savings on expensive televisions and electronics? The answer is “maybe” with a few shades of grey. The site is already offering a pre-Prime Day deal on its Music Unlimited service ($1 for four months) and says that owners of Echo devices will receive special voice ordering discounts beginning on Monday July 10 (6pm PST). However, last year The Wirecutter analyzed nearly 8,000 deals and found that only 64 represented true savings. Some of their best electronics finds were Vizio’s SB3821 Soundbar System (street: $170, sale: $130), LG’s C7 55” OLED TV (street: $2500, sale: $2300), Apple’s 5th Generation iPad (street: $330, sale: $300), Peachtree Audio’s Deepblue2 Bluetooth Speaker (street: $400, sale: $350), and Beats Wireless Earphones (street: $130, sale: $75).

So, how do you know if you’re getting a good deal?

There are several different ways to deal-check. One is to let a website such as The Wirecutter do the hunting for you. That particular site says it will be posting hot finds on its Deals page and its Twitter feed. But the Wirecutter isn’t guaranteed to find everything, which leaves some investigative work in your hands. One of the slickest tools on the Internet to gauge Amazon pricing is a website called CamelCamelCamel, which provides free Amazon price tracking. Here you’ll find instant access to price history charts, customizable price alerts for Amazon wishlist items, and Twitter alert notifications. This is the best way to decide if a Prime Day deal is truly a deal or just a puff of smoke.

Of course, we encourage AV NIRVANA members to share the love and post any of their own hot-finds in the “Awesome Deals and Budget AV Equipment” forum section.

If you’re interested in joining Prime for Prime Day shopping, you can click here to sign up for a free 30-day trial. And if you’re a student with a .edu email address, click here for a six-month free trial plus 50-perecent off!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks Todd for mentioning the Amazon prime day. I thought to add here that I am an amazon prime member and I did take advantage of the Prime day specials. I didn't purchase any AV related items but I needed a nice shredder that could do cross cut and they had one on sale. I ended up getting that and saved some money. I was looking earlier but thought to wait till prime day which was best since there were savings to be had. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
A buddy of mine picked up a pretty sweet mini-projector. If you catch one of these sales, major bonus in savings!

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
I agree, as a prime member, there are a lot of benefits on amazon. Plus, they do have daily deals going on as well. Just a matter of what is on sale that particular day and if it meets your needs. :)

Top Bottom