Play Mains and Sub at Same Time

Obe1

Registered
Hello. Ive been using REW for a while but just got a new interface and am having trouble with something.

I have an RME interface, have my monitors in outputs 1 and 2, and my sub on output 3. For the life of me, I cant figure out how to get REW to play output channels 2 (R) and 3 (sub) at the same time.

For whatever reason, REW will play 1 (L) and 3 (sub) at the same time if I choose my output as L, but choose C to measure, but it does not work the same way if I choose R as the output and C as the measurement channel.

Ive seen mentions of a "second output" option for measurement, but can't find it anywhere in REW.

How can I get my sub and main to play at the same time? Thanks in advance.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
How is the sub channel generated?

What do you mean by "choose my output as L, but choose C to measure"?

The option for a second output is available when using ASIO drivers.

Obe1

Registered
How is the sub channel generated?

What do you mean by "choose my output as L, but choose C to measure"?

The option for a second output is available when using ASIO drivers.
FYI Im on a Mac.

Im not sure what you mean by "how is the sub channel generated." I presume that is decided by REW? You tell it which hardware output to send the signal to.

For computer playback, RMEs Total Mix software allows me to route the comouter audio to whatever channels I want, so I have it going to outputs 1, 2, and 3 (sub).

Although now that I write this, I think I may know whats going on. In Total Mix, I am routing the computers stereo output to channel 3 (sub), but maybe its not summing the signal, and only sending the left side of the stereo signal to channel 3... that would explain why REW plays the sub when I choose L but not R.

To answer your other question, when I say choose output as L and measure as C, I am referring to the output as the outout selector box in the settings area. But when youbpress measure, there is also an output selector box, and in there I chose C (which is referencing output 3).

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW only sends data to the channel selected for measurement. The output selectors on the soundcard preferences and the Measure dialog are mirrors of each other, changing one changes the other.

Obe1

Registered
REW only sends data to the channel selected for measurement. The output selectors on the soundcard preferences and the Measure dialog are mirrors of each other, changing one changes the other.
Oh wow. I guess I didn't realize it mirrored.

Well when I choose C to measure, it plays L as well, but not R. Strange.

Is there not an option in REW to play two outputs at a time? I tried to set both channel 3 and 2 as R in the channel configuration box, but that didnt do anything.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Only L+R, but I guess you could remap where channels 1 and 2 end up in Total mix?

Obe1

Registered
Only L+R, but I guess you could remap where channels 1 and 2 end up in Total mix?
That is helpful. At least now I know it can't be done in REW, so Ill have to learn Total Mix better and see if I can make it think output 3 is output 2.

Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom