Phase Graph

rcaudio

Registered
I get the following phase response on my speaker measurements. It is a 3-way bass reflex speaker. So questions arise. Is this normal? Is it accurate? Is there something to consider in setup? I'll start there.
1592004173946.png

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is a big time delay in the measurement (27 ms) so the phase will not make much sense. You would need to remove the delay to get a more sensible plot.

rcaudio

Registered
You would need to remove the delay to get a more sensible plot.
Are you referring to the timing offset in the measurement menu or some other?

I do notice that if I select in preferences a frequency dependent window the response is much more palatable. I don't quite understand the technical aspects, this was a suggestion from a guide I am trying to follow. Is this because I'm measuring about 10 ft. from my speakers?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The delay and what it is relative to is shown in the measurement notes. For sensible phase plots delay, which can be due to the distance between mic and speaker and to various buffering and processing delays in the signal paths, should be zero or close to it.

phorensic

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PreSonus Studio 68
Main Amp
Powered Monitors
Additional Amp
25W Single Ended Class A Valve
Front Speakers
PreSonus Eris E8
Subwoofers
Ampeg SVT-610HLF
Are you trying to fix the phase? When I first started using REW I was really confused by my wild looking phase plot as well. Until I realized I didn't need the information and I just moved to the All SPL tab to do all my work. IMO the All SPL tab should be the first tab. Maybe some day I will need phase information, but I've been tweaking for months and don't see the need yet.

rcaudio

Registered
It rather caught me by surprise and I didn't know if what I was measuring was accurate. I've been trying to so create convolution filters for use with Roon in my stereo and I haven;t been bowled over with the results yet.

Top Bottom