PC > TV (4k 120hz) > Receiver

Mattstapiece

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Marantz sr6014
Hi all,

I have a receiver (Marantz sr6014) that does not support 4k 120hz so I hooked my PC up to my TV (which does), and then ran an HDMI cable from the TV's ARC slot to the only slot marked ARC on the receiver. The intent is to have 5.1.4 surround while still being able to use 4k 120hz. Is this a workaround that is even possible? And if so, any suggestions as to why I can't get audio from the PC to play on the receiver?

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape Strato C/Terra 48TB/Compact Terra 6TB
Front Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Reference Cinema
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
NextLevel Acoustics Angled Satellite
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
JVC DLA X790R, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240
Screen
SeymourAV Proscenium 124” diagonal 2.40:1
Remote Control
Unfolded Circle Remote 2, powered by HomeAssistant
Streaming Equipment
PLEX Server, AppleTV4K, Bluesound Node2i
Streaming Subscriptions
AppleTV+, Amazon Prime, HBO Max
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
The optical cable route will not give you 5.x.4, or lossless audio at all. The ARC option might work, might not, depending on the specific models, and it may be inconsistent. The best option is the HD Fury Vertex, which will split your Hdmi to go to each device separately, without causing handshake issues.

lemoncadillac

Thrillcat
Can you please explain that to me? I think because I am playing material recorded in 7.1 and I playback the audio and hear music from all my speakers I am getting surround sound. You are telling me I am not? Please help me understand your response.
Thank you

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Rega Planar 6, Rega Exact2 cart, Rega Aria Mk3 Phono Stage, Jolida JD202BRC, Rega RS-5 Speakers (2-channel system)
Optical cables are not capable of passing lossless audio, of this I am positive, and many TVs will actually only send a 2.0 signal via their optical output. I am 95% sure they max out at 5.1, and do not carry immersive audio metadata (Atmos, DTSX). Just because all your speakers are active doesn’t mean the signal contains information for all speakers. Your processor may be synthesizing those extra channels.

Edit: I just noticed you are running the optical from your computer, not the TV. This is better, but still not lossless audio. You are more than likely getting 5.1 and not 2.0, but if you are playing back media that is Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD-MA, it is being compressed to simple Dolby Digital or DTS before it is sent out.

lemoncadillac

I was always told that glass Toslink cable was passing the best audio you can get. From my computer to my AVR I have HDMI, RCA, 3.5mm stereo cable, Digital, and Toslink. What will give me lossless and if that can not be done which is the prefered connection to use?

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
I was always told that glass Toslink cable was passing the best audio you can get. From my computer to my AVR I have HDMI, RCA, 3.5mm stereo cable, Digital, and Toslink. What will give me lossless and if that can not be done which is the prefered connection to use?
Optical cables (and digital coax) were the best options pre-HDMI, but their bandwidth is limited and can’t pass lossless audio (might actually have to do with HDCP copy protection and not bandwidth). HDMI is the best option today.

lemoncadillac

I am sitting here with my mouth wide open. You are telling me for the past 30 of buying SACD's, downloading Flac music files, and playing them back via Glass Toslink I have never heard lossless audio? You are basically telling me I have a $10,000+ collection of junk? What is capable of first playing lossless sound? What can record it?
Does this HD Fury Vertex solve the issue? For instance, do I need to run all of my audio to my PC then out thru HDMI to my AVR? That can not work because the cabling back to my PC can not pass lossless audio. You have shattered my glasshouse.
Sounds like the only ky PC, AVR, and HD Fury Vertex are needed. All my RCA Cables are worthless. 8.1 audio history. The HDMI input I was not using has become way more important. My plans for next week or 2 are made. Well, at least once I understand and purchase an HD Fury Vertex or similar item. Have I been asleep? Do others know this? My head is spinning.

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Hold up. If you’re talking about stereo audio content, you’re likely fine. I was referring to video soundtracks. Multi-channel audio. I’ve never messed with SACD, but they didn’t even have HDMI outputs, right? The SACD standard was set before HDMI existed. Your FLAC and SACD content should be fine with the optical, though you won’t lose anything by switching your cabling to HDMI and using that.

When you look at the content, if it is encoded as Dolby TrueHD or DTSHD-MA, your optical cable won’t pass that audio, it will drop to the compressed track, or compress it to base-level Dolby Digital.

The short of it is, HDMI is more capable than optical-it has to be to pass HD and UHD video on top of lossless multichannel audio and metadata for immersive audio and HDR. While you may be fine on your audio-only content, if you’re also playing video, you will be better off moving to HDMI.

lemoncadillac

I don't know the year either were introduced. Google knows. My SACD Player has HDMI and 7.1. From my Sony manual"
"D2 or D3. D2 is Optical or Digital coaxial. D3 is HDMI. 7.1 is passed with RCA cables. Yes, HDMI was out and used. My Bluray player and HD CD player both have HDMI.
I picking up what you're putting down. It is the audio used video that is not lossless. Still a little confused but getting it. Anything video needs to be decoded or encoded to pass lossless via HDMI. Correct?

Travis Ballstadt

Administrator
Staff member
More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
Emotiva BasX 5
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA-500
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS SB2000 x2
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Satellite System
They still have those?
Other Equipment
Players may have HDMI as an option, but I don’t believe it existed when the STANDARD was solidified, which would point to optical and coax cables being capable of carrying the full quality allowed within the standard.

Early DVD players didn’t have HDMI either. Later players did, to add connectivity with HDMI components. But that didn’t mean the DVD standard changed, and DVDs never carried anything more than lossy Dolby Digital and DTS.

The blu-ray standard required HDMI connectivity for passing lossless audio formats (among other things like HDCP), so all blu-ray players must have HDMI.

We’ve threadjacked this enough, but basically you want to connect:
  • your Blu-ray player with HDMI
  • your SACD and HDCD players can be connected with whatever you prefer- any of the digital outputs will carry all information, the analog outputs will take advantage of the player’s DAC
  • your computer should use HDMI if you ever play video from it, otherwise the optical should also deliver the full quality.

Top Bottom