Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta C10
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta M8
Other Speakers or Equipment
Spatial Audio M4 Saphire
Streaming Equipment
Bluesound Vault 2i
Hello. I'm new to AV NIRVANA and REW. As mentioned in my intro post I'm a bit of data/analysis geek but have minimal audio analysis experience. I'm hoping to lean on REW to help flesh out an asymmetrical 2 channel space carved out of a bonus room / office as seen in the attached image. To get started I'd very much appreciate some help with a few basic set up questions.

I have REW downloaded to a desktop PC running Windows 11 Pro (comp specs below) in the shared space. I've read the REW Help contents a few times and played around a bit checking levels and making measurements with the NAD cal mic and computer speakers. But there's a lot to digest so my eyes glaze over pretty quickly and I seem to forget as much as I learn.

I have a calibration mic from a 5 year old NAD T758 running an ancient version of DIRAC (DIRAC LIVE Pro 2018 (Download file: DLCT_NADFull-Windows-1.2.37)). The mic has an 18' lead, which will reach the primary listening position but I don't have the original mic cal file.

The first question is can I use this old mic without the original cal file or should I purchase a UMIK-1? If UMIK-1 is the answer I'll need a 15' USB extension cable to reach the primary listening position. Will this extra length affect the mic calibration?

My second question concerns connecting the PC to my PS Audio Gain Cell DAC/preamp. I have an old Nuforce DAC hooked up to a USB A port on the computer. I can run either a RCA stereo pair from the Nuforce DAC to a Gain Cell preamp analog input or a USB cable from a computer USB A port to the Gain Cell DAC USB B port. Which is the better option? An advantage to using the RCA stereo pair is I already have the cable but a cable is inexpensive if USB to USB is preferred.

The last question has to do with a sound card cal file. It's not clear to me if a sound card cal file is needed if connecting computer USB to Gain Cell DAC USB. My understanding is the USB out bypasses the computer DAC but is that the same as bypassing the sound card? I assume that the Gain Cell DAC being part of the system is captured in the measurements so calibrating isn't necessary. If using the Nuforce DAC I assume I'd need a cal file, which I don't have.

I'm a relative newbie to audio analysis. As mentioned, I've read the REW help and played around some quite honestly the set up and many different considerations covered in the Help are a bit intimidating for this newbie. So my desire is to get the best results with the least amount of complications. I'll dig deeper as I gain experience but to start I'd rather not have to consider things like interface and SPL calibrations.

Thank you

1672684215926.png

IMG-0177(1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG-0177(1).JPG
    IMG-0177(1).JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 6

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I have a calibration mic from a 5 year old NAD T758 running an ancient version of DIRAC (DIRAC LIVE Pro 2018 (Download file: DLCT_NADFull-Windows-1.2.37)). The mic has an 18' lead, which will reach the primary listening position but I don't have the original mic cal file.

You can download the NAD mic cal file from this page. Scroll down to the picture of the specific mic.

Allan S

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PS Audip Gain Cell DAC
Main Amp
PS Audio M1200
Additional Amp
NAD T758
Front Speakers
Philharmonic Audio BMR
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta C10
Surround Speakers
Revel Concerta M8
Other Speakers or Equipment
Spatial Audio M4 Saphire
Streaming Equipment
Bluesound Vault 2i
Many thanks for the link. I actually stumbled on this page the other day and downloaded both available files. Images for both include a mini jack to USB dongle. The file name suggests one is a mic only file and the other is mic plus dongle. I actually have both dongles but wasn't confident the mic is the still the same. But I just looked at a current NAD product DIRAC calibration instruction that show what appears to be the same mic so maybe it's okay.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There is no soundcard cal with a USB mic, soundcard cal is only applicable when the device under test can be replaced by a loopback connection for the calibration, which isn't possible with USB mics. Long USB cables can be problematic, though active extensions generally seem to work OK.

Allan S

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PS Audip Gain Cell DAC
Main Amp
PS Audio M1200
Additional Amp
NAD T758
Front Speakers
Philharmonic Audio BMR
Center Channel Speaker
Revel Concerta C10