No Input from Mic.

orlaboutorla

Registered
Hi all and thanks for reading.

I am here to ask for some noob help (and a bit of patience). I have a small garden studio which is semi treated and have been trying out some new monitors. I was also recently gifted Sound ID Reference and when I run this I noticed a large dip at 100hz. This is the same on 5 sets of monitors that I have tested.

I was advised to try REW by some kind posters at Gearspace so they could drill down a bit more but I am struggling to get an input level from my Audio Interface/Mic.

I have followed an online video from the REW website. REW is allowed access to my mic. But there is no level coming in although there is levels on my UAD audio interface.

I keep getting a message saying the levels are too low and to check my input.

Any help (in very layman's terms) would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly in advance.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you post a screenshot of your REW soundcard preferences? To rule out the obvious, have you selected the channel your mic is connected to as the input channel in REW?

orlaboutorla

Registered
Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 18.18.43.png

orlaboutorla

Registered
It must be something simple that I am overlooking, and I am sure someone will tell me and make me feel silly... In the background you will see my mic working fine.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Press "Next >" to start the cal signal. The loopback or mic should be on the R input since that is the selected input channel, but the level shown is typical of an unconnected line input so there might be some mixer config issue.

orlaboutorla

Registered
Thanks again for your reply... And your patience.

I am confused when you say "The loopback or mic should be on the R input since that is the selected input channel". Firstly, the loopback input dropdown only gives me numbers to choose from. And I cant see a right input to select it only an output. I promise that although not a guru I know my way round a studio a bit but I am just a tad lost here. Again thanks for your help and patience.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Here is the input channel selection:

1680948361729.png

1 = Left, 2 = Right usually. Just checking that you have whatever you want to see a signal from on input 2. The devices REW sees are the ones you see listed in Audio Midi Setup so worth checking how that is configured for the input you are using and make sure any OS level controls are set appropriately.

orlaboutorla

Registered
Here is the input channel selection:

View attachment 60871

1 = Left, 2 = Right usually. Just checking that you have whatever you want to see a signal from on input 2. The devices REW sees are the ones you see listed in Audio Midi Setup so worth checking how that is configured for the input you are using and make sure any OS level controls are set appropriately.
Thanks I am pretty sure its all configured correctly in Audio Midi Setup but I will nip down and check and report back.

orlaboutorla

Registered
Also, you mentioned to press next for the cal signal which of course I have done but again no input. I will take a look at the A/M Setup first.

orlaboutorla

Registered
Hi John,

So everything looks normal with Audio/Midi Setup but there is clearly something amiss with the software and the UAD Apollo.I just run the software on my Macbook (not the Mini) using the built in speaker and mic and the program worked fine. Well I mean it picked up the mic etc...

Any further thoughts? It must be something obvious...

orlaboutorla

Registered
Actually, I just did some scratching my head. My setup is an Apollo rack and an Apollo twin which are connected together.

I had my Sphere mic plugged in to mic inputs 1-2 so tried that and I got a signal fine so something to do with the output from the Apollo twin (slaving to the Apollo rack) is not working.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
It was noted years ago on a thread at the Home Theater Shack Forum that REW worked best with simple 2-channel interfaces, and complicated ones were typically a problem. Maybe John can weigh in and let us know if that's still a problem. The issue became moot with the introduction of USB mics.

Regards,
Wayne

Top Bottom