Newbie: I'm confused about equipment needed with my mic and audio interface

johnnyhands

Registered
I’m reading the Help document in REW, Getting Started With REW -> Equipment Needed.

Here is my gear:

- Beyer Dynamic MM-1 omnidirectional condenser mic needing phantom power. It has a cable with an XLR output. (I also have the 0 degree and 90 degree calibration files.)

- iMac Intel with latest Logic Pro X (already connected to the Apollo Twin.)

- Apollo Twin Thunderbolt 2 with XLR inputs (can be used for 1/4" line input as well), it also has an extra pair of line outputs (other than the monitor outputs) and an 1/4" headphone output and a guitar 1/4" input.

- Studio monitors connected to the Apollo Twin.

This section has me confused:

"A final option is an analog microphone, but most mics will require a preamplifier to produce line level and to supply the mic with phantom power. For full range measurements the mic response must be calibrated for accurate results. An SPL meter is still ideally required to provide a reference SPL figure against which to calibrate REW's SPL display.

I know the Apollo Twin supplies the phantom power for microphones (i've used it already for recording), but does the Apollo Twin handle the "preamplifier to produce line level?” It seems like it does, but I’m new to this. UPDATE: yes, Apollo Twin has the preamps for those two XLR inputs; apologies, should have RTFM first.)

In the room SPL measuring process, am I going to need to make more connections than just the microphone to the Apollo Twin? (For example, from the Line Out or Headphone Out to ??). There is a Connections diagram for the SPL meter case on this REW Help page, but, unfortunately, not one for the analog microphone case (with phantom-power supplying audio interface).

Thanks!

Last edited:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Moved to appropriate forum

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The mic connects to your interface, outputs from your interface connect to the system. Since your monitors are already connected to your interface you just need to go to the REW soundcard preferences and select the input your mic is connected to and the output(s) your monitors are connected to. Monitoring must be off for measurement, otherwise the input from the mic goes back out to the speakers, causing a feedback loop and an unusable measurement.

Top Bottom