Newbie here. Trying to improve my room sound for music mixing. Need some help interpreting REW charts.

nraddatz

Registered
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so please don't be too hard on me.

I've been reading about room eq wizard for maybe a couple of hours, having some trouble interpreting what i'm getting.

Hi have a small garage turned into a home studio. Have some light acoustic treatment plus a sofa, a bookshelf, guitars hanging on the wall, rug, and stuff to help tame the echos and such. My main monitors are Focal Alpha 65.

My main issue in the past has been that i have a hard time hearing bass in my mixes. This would result in mixes that were bass-heavy or muddy in other environments such as my car, or my hi-fi speakers.

I brought in a 10" subwoofer a month ago, and it seems to have helped, as now my mixes translate way better. The subwoofer is set at 80hz crossover, the gain is a hair above 0. Enough so i can "feel" the bass a bit.

Now i am taking some measurements with room eq wizard to see if i can improve on that. I loaded my measuring microphone calibration file on the program, set the microphone at ear level pointing to the middle between speakers, ran tests using L+R. Set graph smoothing to 1/12 octave.

Link with images of my measurements:
- First thing i notice, is that i am getting quite some variation in low frequencies between tests, without me changing anything. This makes it difficult for me to interpret whether i have a problem or not.
- Secondly, i see buildup starting at 5khz and peaking at around 8khz, with a difference of around 15db compared to the mid lows. I lowered the high freq on the back of the monitors (-3db at around 5khz) and it seems to have helped "a bit", but the peak is still there, and very evident.
- I'm not exactly sure what to make out of RT60 / Waterfall charts.

I am providing some screenshots. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The low end looks more like noise than signal, there may be an issue with the setup or configuration. Best posting an mdat file of the measurements and a screenshot of the REW soundcard preferences.

Top Bottom